Klipschorn Placement

Hi!

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this question has been answered before. I recently acquired a pair of cornerhorns and am having problems getting the response to sound flat in the bottom few octaves. They really excite room resonances. I like the energy, but it is simply overbearing at some frequencies and detracts greatly from the overall sound quality.

What do K-horn owners do to get the bass horns to be relatively flat in room? Would pulling the speakers out of the corners a bit help?

I can't believe everyone with these speakers has a 1/3 octave graphic EQ, mic and spectrum analyzer. Or do they?

Thanks in advance

Chris Bolkan

"Would pulling the speakers out of the corners a bit help?"

The opposite...tightly fitted into the corners using rubber seals.

Best placement are corners along the long walls.

Also, factor in possible needed componet re-freshing if the khorns are old.

What are your room dimensions? Are the speakers on the long portion of the wall or short side? Are there any impediments like doorways, windows? Are your floors carpeted, wood, cement? What is the constuction material used in the walls? What is the SPL you are listening at? What electronic equipment are you using? Are there any other speakers than the K-horns? Are the K-horns new or older?

JJK

Pulling the khorn out of the corners will only make the frequency response more bumpy.

It sounds like what you're experiencing is the wonderful world of small room acoustics and is something everyone has to deal with. Walk around your room with some bass heavy material and note how drastically the bass response changes. So really the only thing you can do is move the listening position around. A lot of people have much better results with the khorns on the long wall so you might also try that.

The only other options would be to treat the acoustics of your room or try to find a better room for the khorns. I know that's prob not what you wanna hear, but that's the only way to experience the khorns at their absolute best...but it's well worth the effort if you can.

Welcome to the forum.

I experienced that stuffing the "dead" void deep in the corner behind the back board of the horn(the space you seal off) with loudspeaker cotton, effectively reduced resonannces.

When re-reading this post I see that I may confuse;

What I was trying to say, was that it reduce bass-sound that does not come from the reccord, but are beeing created in that "hollow" space in the corner behind the speakers "backboard". This may be enough to reduce some resonance in your room aswell.

In my room, it removed some "rumble" and left a firm nice bass.