RF-62 Home Theater System

RelievedSimpleton

I am currently in the process of building a home theater in my bedroom. I'm piecing things together as I can't afford to go out and just drop $4-5,000 on a surround system and projector. I currently own a pair of the RF-62's as well as the RC-62. Planning on getting the RS-52's around July. I have a few concerns though. My first is how long is this line of speakers expected to be sold for? I just want to make sure that when I eventually get around to buying the subwoofer it's still available brand new. I honestly probably won't be able to until around November/December. Also, I have a 7.1 receiver and would like to be able to have a 7.1 system. What would be the recommended speakers to add to this system to do this? I am unsure whether I should grab some bookshelf speakers or if I should go for some more surround style speakers. Not to mention I would have no idea what bookshelf speakers would match up with this system. Also, if it's recommended to get two more surround style speakers, should I go for the RS-52's or something less powerful? Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-RS

Is this a HTIB (Home Theater In Bedroom [;)]) or is this a bedroom that is being converted to a HT? How big is the space?

If this is actually your bedroom you probably have the headboard up against the wall? If so, it's going to be tough to get your rear surrounds behind you, I'd suggest going 5.1 in that case.

I'll let the more experienced folks answer your questions, I was just trying to clear a couple things up, and get some dimensions for the room.

Good luck.

Well, this is a home theater in a bedroom. I currently still live with my parents, only 18. Right now, the bedroom is the only room I have to do this until I move out. To give a rough idea of my setup I threw together a drawing. The main viewing area is from the couch. Occasionally I sit in the computer chair with my feet up on the bed while playing video games. This drawing isn't to scale or anything, it's just to give a rough idea of what the setup is. As for the bed being off to one side, it doesn't seem to affect the sound too much since the RF-62 is roughly twice as tall as my bed. The surrounds I have now, the unlabeled boxes, are just cheap free Pioneer bookshelf speakers I got with my receiver. The couch is about 2 feet off the rear wall, I could move it to be about 3 foot off the wall if I needed to for the rear surrounds to sound better but I'd prefer to leave it where it is. Any info on what rear speakers to get to make this a 7.1 setup would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-RS

HTIB Setup

Speaker line should be around for a couple of years until they come out with a new line. You can go with another pair of rs 52 for 7.1 to match your system or give Klipsch a call and ask for there recommendations on a pair of bookshelves to match your system. For the sub, you can always buy used or another brand. Some people use hsu, svs, etc. You can used the pioneers for now as 7.1 and then when you get more cash, buy matching surrounds. Take a look at thx.com or dolby.com for speaker placement.

Rear surrounds in a 7.1 system should be more "directional" than our RS series models. So the RS-52s are perfect as your side surrounds but go with a pair of RB-51s for the rear centers.

The reason for this comes from the fact that most people use Dipole or Bipole side surrounds which have a big, enveloping soundfield, but lack ability to localize. Adding directional rear surrounds mitigates the problems of Dipoles and Bipoles and also work well for WDST side surrounds such as the RS-52.