Is the KLF-C7 "universal"

Goon

I've been browsing this forum for about a week now, and I've noticed that what seems to be a majority of you are using the KLF-C7 center, regardless of what fronts you are running.

Is it in some way "universally matched" to all Klipsch speakers, or is having a truely matched center not as important as I have been led to believe?

I originally came here looking for a KV4 center to match my CF-3s, but I'm having no luck finding one anywhere. Local stores and the internet have both been dead ends.

I'm trying to build my first home theater system based on an Onkyo-727 and Epic CF-3s I've had since 1995, and I figured findinng the right center was my first step.

By the way, if you have equipment suggestions, feel free to post them, I could use the input.

Thanks

This message has been edited by Goon on 12-11-2001 at 11:34 AM

The KLF-C7 is definitely not universal. It is popular with a lot of folks because it is the closest match in a center channel form factor that is currently available new, retail for many of the Klipsch series. A lot of people with Heritage series speakers use a KLF-C7, but a lot use a Heritage series speaker, e.g. Heresy, Belle, LaScala.

Timbre match between the three front speakers is very important in a HT system. Most of the sound is coming out of it most of the time. If it is poorly matched, you will definitely hear it when the sound moves from speaker to speaker. Some people think timbre match is not so important for the rear speakers. But I disagree with that now that most of the material I see has DolbyDigital or DTS sound. My HT system is based on 5 closely matched Heresys and a good subwoofer. I am in the process of building a speaker with a center channel form factor that will match the rest of the speakers in the system.

You'll get the best match by using the KV-4 as recommended by Klipsch. I have seen KV-4s on eBay. But they are even rarer than Academys, which might be another option.