possible eq settings for the synergy speakers?????

ace01234

all i can seem to think of when every time i use my mic on my yamaha 5890 to set the eq on my 7.1 setup, is that it usually sounds better when i try to manually set it all up. i know that my room is definitely not any where near being accoustically sound at all. i have a vaulted ceiling that slops up on one side up to like 25 ft and a lot of open space on the one side away from the double french doors. my living room is enormous and i do get some echoing because of it. i don't know if this is the cause of the bad settings that take place when i use the mic or not. i have two f-3s, one c-2, two b-3s, two s-2s along with three synergy sub-12s. i mean, dont get me wrong, sounds great but i feel that there could be so much more coming from this. i do intend on getting a new receiver when i get back from from iraq but was wondering if there was any specific eq settings that i could manually put in for each of the speakers??? the receiver has a six or seven band that i can adjust for each of my speakers and i would greatly appreciate it if anyone knew of any manufacture specs that could help me out. i do know a little on the whold set up, i mean i am still a novice when it comes to a lot of things, so understanding that each home theater is actually room specific is just a givin. i just hope that i am not doomed when it comes to the set up of my living room. i have two subs to the front right corner and one that is to the rear left corner. that really works out well for the bass, believe me, three of these are unbelievable. i would really like to know if this saying is correct also. for the subs you should turn your gain all the way up and the freq. resp. all the way down, to the lowest setting. and then from there you could control everything from the receiver itself??? hey and thanks a lot, i am new to this forum but i thought where else to look for help. thanks a lot.......

Where I would start make sure your reciever is matched to your speaker size, to do this you have hook the reciever up to a tv and open up the power and tell the reciever that you have large or small speakers and that will funnel the power were it needs to go. It may also ask how far each speaker is in feet from the reciever and believe me it makes a world of a difference. Dont skimp on wire ethier for long runs, for the EQ start setting make the EQ smile at you, and you can fine tune your sound from there. What I always do for the sub, if your reciever will let you turn the crossover freq off, do it and adjust on the sub. If you want to use the gain for sub volume in the reciver thats up to you. In this CASE I would not use the mic to dial in the sound, go radio shack and purchase a decibel meter and do it that way its more acurate and you can sit in your favorite spot in the room and adjust the reciver to were you like it. After you do this I'm confident this will fix your problem.....

i do appreciate the help guys, unfortunately i am here in iraq and unable to mess with my stuff now. i will definitely take everything into consideration. one question though, with the decible meter, what is it exactly that i am looking to accomplish with that? i would think that i would try to match up the db rating of the speakers? but again, thanks for all of the help guys.....

A dB meter will help you adjust the level of your subwoofer and your other speakers so that they are all playing at roughly the same dB level from the listening position. Most modern receivers have test tones that will play one speaker at a time so that you can write down what the dB meter says for each speaker and then you can make adjustments on the receiver.

Keep in mind that differences of only a few inches can change the dB output that you perceive to hear by quite a bit. It probably would work best to hold the meter right by your ears or in front of your nose so that you get the most accurate level reading for where you're sitting.

again thank you. i do greatly appreciate the help. my wife just told me that our third sub went and that she can exchange it for the reference series through best buy so that is cool. just can't wait to get get back and finally do it right this time. thanks again........