Sub setup

a450exc

Hello I am new here and new to Home Theater. I purchased a Home Theater system in Jan. and have been playing around with the setup since. I am not happy with the proformance of the sub. I think it is a setup problem. I have a Pioneer Elite VSX 81TXV, RF82, RC52, RB51, RW12D sub. Speakers set to small, Sub set settings are EQ mode Flat, Lowpass OFF, Phase 0, Crossover at 80. What would the proper setup be? I have tried setting speakers to large and sub to Plus and I can't tell any differance.

What is it about the performance of the sub that you're not happy with?

What do you have the gain or level control set at the sub? What do you have the crossover set at the sub itself? Do you have the sub hooked up via LFE out or sub out?

What is it about the performance of the sub that you're not happy with?

What do you have the gain or level control set at the sub? What do you have the crossover set at the sub itself? Do you have the sub hooked up via LFE out or sub out?

I just don't get much base or rumbling sound like I think I should. Gain or level control? What is this? Volume level? The sub does not have a crossover setting option. I have the sub connected to Sub Out.

Is your Pioneer programmed right.................Did you read your owners manual ? Use LFE out.................

i did the auto set up and it found the sub and runs the tones through it.I have the sub connected where the manual tells me to.

I just don't get much base or rumbling sound like I think I should. Gain or level control? What is this? Volume level? The sub does not have a crossover setting option. I have the sub connected to Sub Out.

Ok, after looking at the manual for your sub online, here's what I would recommend:

1) Set the volume level on the sub at its maximum level.

2) Under 'EQ Mode' on the sub, set it to "Punch"

3) Under 'Lowpass' on the sub, set it to "Lowpass Off LFE Mode"

4) On your receiver, set the subwoofer Lowpass level to 80Hz

5) On your receiver, set the subwoofer setting to 'On'

Try running the receiver's auto-setup again and see if anything sounds better.

You probably will have to play with the subwoofer's Phase settings as well. That setting is a very key component in blending the subwoofer with your other speakers. Depending on where the sub is placed in the room and what the phase setting on the subwoofer is set to, it is possible that where you sit to listen the other speakers can cancel out the subwoofer's output at the listening position completely.

You might also need to adjust the subwoofer output level manually on your reciever if you want increased bass output. I think its safe to say that many people like their subwoofers to be run at a higher level than most auto-setups on receivers will set them to. For the best blend of sound a subwoofer should play at the same level as the other speakers in the room. Many people really enjoy bass though so they set their subwoofer level higher.