4.1 and NForce

Ancient

I know nothing about sound systems except it sounds good or bad and at 82 yrs old, its hard to learn. I just bought a MSI Nforce board with on board sound and they say the only way to get 4.1 sound out of it is to use the spdif connector.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. In other words, Im lost.

ancient

Well, the easiest thing to do would be to get a new sound card. The ProMedia speakers can not take an spdif connection.

Get an Acoustic Edge sound card. It is aroun $79-89 and does 4.1 output and sounds great! For an even better deal, and better sound, get the Voyetra Santa Cruz. It is $79 and sounds beautiful! both of these cards will do 5.1 incase you ever decide to get a 5.1 system Smile.gif

Good luck! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

justin_tx_16

I want to thank you so much for the help. I have a sound blaster card and a Santa Cruz, I cant remem ber the name of the other but it has another card bracket with lots of connectors on it. I hate to not use the onboard sound for I planned on just using this computer for seti,until I changed my CPU cooler and crushed my CPU (old shakey hands and poor eyesight)cwm1.gif.

thank you

ancient

well, if you really don't care about surround sound, well, true surround sound, you can just get two mini stereo y adapters and plug that into the stereo output on your sound card, thenplug the ProMedias into that. you wonlt have true 4.1 but you will have all sats and sub working Smile.gif only cost ya say $2!

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin

I went ahead and put the sound card in since I had to put in a networking card also, plus the fact I am having to use this computer full time until my other processor comes in. I decided to upgrade to a 1900 XP (like this computer has). My great grandaughters like to listen to music (If you can call it that) on my computer. I also ordered more Klipsh speakers (5.1), (the way they blast them, I have a feeling I will need them).I paid a lot for these speakers, is there anything I can do to to help take care of them, some kind of maintaince perhaps?

ancient

Man, wish i was your grandson! LoL!

Break them in for a few hours toa few days beore blasting any had core rapp... LoL! Just play stuff at low volume for whiel and turni t up throught a day... not required but i ilke to do this.

Matintenace.... don't play them full blast for extended periods of time...like hours... Smile.gif

I dust mine a lot. Make sure you don't drop them. Ha ha! I would keep the speaker covers on them, helps protect them.

Really is no real maintenance like that that comes with some speakres, like puting mink oil on the outer edge of the speaker. not really needed untill they start to age andyou are afraid of cracking them. just don't do anything stupid like play catch or try to open them up. Smile.gif

Enjoy!

------------------

-justin

No problem! One thing you might want to dois keep them out of direct sunlight, that is never a good idea with electronics, well, it's ok with solar panels but that's about it Smile.gif Also, do not use a surge protector to turn off the speakers. I HIGHLY recommend using a surge protector to protect teh speakers from spikes and electrical surges, but turning them off with the power strip is not a great idea. You can use the power button on the side, easier to get to anyways Smile.gif

------------------

-justin