Tell me how to connect a Mac desktop to my stereo...

ibanezhater

Lots of stuff on the shopping list: iMac computer with Airport and iTunes installed, and a tube based system (tubed preamp, tubed power amp) with Heresy IIIs. This system will be used to listen to primarily vinyl.

However, I would like to be able to listen to MP3s, along with streaming audio (Pandora, Music Match, etc.) through my system. Is this possible? Do I plug the computer into the RCA jacks on the preamp? Will I need to buy a Squeezebox? A separate DAC? If so, does this negate the need for a high end CD player? Should I go wireless?

Would a tube based and horn system, in addition to a separate DAC improve the compressed digital media? Warm it up a bit?

All help is greatly appreciated!

--Mike

I was think more a long the lines of a USD DAC, but the headphone jack approach would work.

I was thinking that a DAC might benefit the sound of the Mac's CD player, thus negating the need for me to buy a high end CD player. Whadda you think about this, and how can I connect the computer to the hi fi via the DAC instead of the headphone jack?

Thanks!