Old CF-3 vs. RF-83 vs. Thiel

jr_spyder

Hello Im a long time Klipsch owner/fan, but first time poster (been lurking for a while). I built my first HT about 12 years ago with Klipsch speakers all around, Adcom amps, and a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Meridian 561 pre/pro. I moved two years ago and built a dedicated HT during the first year with a very well treated room. I put in all the same old gear. Just recently I started on a path to upgrade everything. The first change was a new RC-64 center speaker huge improvement. Next my KSW-200 was replaced with two JL Audio f112 subs fantastic. Just today I received a McIntosh MC207 amp (7x200w) and McIntosh MX-135 pre/pro (I know a great discount dealer for all this gear pm me if interested). Cant wait to get all that humming.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now the question is for the main speakers. I have a pair of Klipsch CF-3s that still seem perfectly fine. But while I was out shopping for the McIntosh gear I heard a lot of other speakers (except any Ks) and many seemed better than my old CF-3s. I cant seem to find a place near by where I can listen to RF-83s or 63s. So Im wondering what I would expect to hear as different going from the CF-3 to the RF-83. Im also very interested if anyone has a comparison opinion of high end Ks to Thiels mid size range. Seems like all the McIntosh shops I went to also featured Thiel and they sounded fantastic with the Mac amps but at a huge price compared to Klipsch. Are they worth it over the RF-83? Just wish I could find a convenient way to hear the 83s but for now Im happy to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

JR

It would appear that since you have already gotten the RC64, that you would want to stay with the Klipsch RF83 or 63. If you are pleased with the RC64 I think you will be equally pleased with the Floorstanders. Maybe some others will chime in that have more knowledge of the CF-3. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

JR,

I don't know if this will help, but I'll put my two cents in. I started with a pair of original Fortes back in the late 80's, they were fantastic. I kept them for years, and as my tastes in music changed, so did my ear. I started to become very critical of the way my speakers were imaging, midrange reproduction, the sound of a female voice, you name it, I just wanted to hear it all. I had been in symphonic band for years in grade school and in H.S, and I knew what real music sounded like, and I was never fooled by most speakers.

Jump up to the 90's, and I purchased a pair of Vandersteen 2ce's. They really opened my eyes to how well recorded music should sound, like..... real music. Well the madness started, I just had to find the perfect speaker from that moment on, if a used pair of 2ce's could sound that great, then there had to be something even better. I tried Spica, Magnepans, Monitor Audio, Spendors, B&W, and countless others in search of the perfect sound. I ended back where I started, a pair of Vandersteens ( 3A Signatures). They just are great sounding speakers, and they use a first order crossover and a time aligned minimal baffle to help keep reflections to a minimum, just like the Thiels. Would I say the Thiels and Vandersteen sound the same, no, but they share similiar design features, and have similiar sound qualities. When I have listened to Thiel speakers, they were driven by Mac equipment, and they sounded pretty good to me.

When the time came to put the HT speakers in the family room, I got all the Vandersteen product and started to set it up. The wife and I started to listen to movies and music, and wouldn't you know it, my trusted Vandersteens didn't sound as good on alot of the movies and music that we listened to. I was lucky to find a pair of Fortes in walnut some years back and for chuckles we A/B'd the 3A's vs the Fortes. And what do you know, for the majority of the families listening needs, the Fortes just sounded better. I was shocked, I didn't want to think that my trusted 3A's couldn't cut it against an 18 year old Klipsch speaker, but they didn't for the most part. Both I and the wife sat for hours listening to music and movies on both systems, and it came down to the Klipsch Fortes. Now having said that, the wife will admit that on certain well recorded selections of music, the Vandersteens are life-like, uncanny in their ability to make you forget there are speakers in the room. The only problem is that the Vandersteens are ruthless when it comes to how music is recorded. Crap in, and you get crap out, and most recordings of pop music are recorded very poorly today.

Now my story has a happy ending, my loving wife let me keep both sets of speakers. We have our fantastic Fortes in the family room set up for a soon to be all Heritage Klipsch HT. The Vandersteens are up front in a the adult sitting room, where for critical listening I can just escape the maddness that surrounds us, and enjoy very well recorded music. The main point for you to consider, how critical of the music are you. The Mac and Thiel combo will sound fantastic, but I think on very poorly recorded music, just like the Vandersteens, you may be disappointed. Where as on the Klipsch speakers, most everything sounds great or at least good. The Thiels will be very fussy when it comes to set up in your room because of the time and phase alignment issue also, the Klipsch are easier to place in the room. So as many of the other forum members have said, its all about compromise, what is really important to you ? Do want to chase something that you can't have (perfect sound), or just sit back and enjoy the music and have fun. I love my Fortes, and say, go with the fun speakers, life is way to short to to get caught up in the chase for perfect sound.

About your specific speakers the CF-3s, I have never listened to them. I have listened to most of the Heritage series, and would reccomend that you give them a listen as well. I hear that the Cornwall III is quite the speaker, or even some used Fortes. I know there is a member here who has a Mac set up with 5 Forte II's, I'm sure he could tell you more about that specific match, Mac and Heritage. There are plenty of members that can help you with the specifics of the CF-3 vs RF-83, they may chime in later.

Hope I have given you some insight into your quest for musical happiness.

Best Regards

Todd (Vandyman)

Todd,

Terrific response. You've got me nailed. Definitely my tastes have changed as far as how I want things to sound these days, and I agree nothing will be perfect.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Good news today (don't know why I didn't think of this sooner) is that I had to make a business trip to NYC for a short meeting, but I made my trip a little longer and went to a dealer where I could listen to the RF-83's. This was at J&R Music World. The showroom wasn't perfect, and the upstream gear not ideal, but even so the speakers were extremely impressive. Once I settled in I got completely drawn into the music like I haven't in a very long time. Really felt like I was sitting right in front of the stage of some great musicians and I could pick out every motion they made, and exactly where they were. Almost uncanny.

J&R also offers a heck of a deal if you buy in the store, but not online as they respect Klipsch's policies. I didn't buy them on the spot - but I'm pretty sure I will in the very near future.

Not sure what I'll do with the CF-3's. They are huge and wont go in any other room in the house. So I might put them in storage for a while and wait for a triumphant return someday like you had with your Fortes

JR

Todd,

Terrific response. You've got me nailed. Definitely my tastes have changed as far as how I want things to sound these days, and I agree nothing will be perfect.

Good news today (don't know why I didn't think of this sooner) is that I had to make a business trip to NYC for a short meeting, but I made my trip a little longer and went to a dealer where I could listen to the RF-83's. This was at J&R Music World. The showroom wasn't perfect, and the upstream gear not ideal, but even so the speakers were extremely impressive. Once I settled in I got completely drawn into the music like I haven't in a very long time. Really felt like I was sitting right in front of the stage of some great musicians and I could pick out every motion they made, and exactly where they were. Almost uncanny.

J&R also offers a heck of a deal if you buy in the store, but not online as they respect Klipsch's policies. I didn't buy them on the spot - but I'm pretty sure I will in the very near future.

Not sure what I'll do with the CF-3's. They are huge and wont go in any other room in the house. So I might put them in storage for a while and wait for a triumphant return someday like you had with your Fortes

JR

That's great, I brought there too. They are cheap!