Speaker In-line or Series

PhilMays

VERY DUMB QUESTION HERE!

I'm really embarrased to ask this, but here goes.

I have a two channel rig that features a Marantz 2385 w/185wpc.

The speakers I have for the time being are Polk Monitor 5's that absolutely stunning at lower levels. However at higher levels the bass starts to show their waekness. I purchased some Mirage M-590i's that are bi-polar and 6 ohms off ebay to help with this issue.

EDIT HERE: Fiance did not allow me to purchase Belles I had a chance on earlier for money considerations during the time of our wedding and the fact that I may loose my music room when we move to a new home...I can sneak these smaller speakers in under the radar [6]

When connecting them last night I found that the B speaker on the right side out of the back is not giving a signal. To this point I do not know the issue. I'm thinking it just may be a bad connection within the amp chassis.

Now for the dumb question.

Can I hook these speakers up in-line (8 ohm and 6 ohm) to get a 14 ohm pair and run on A channel?

Thanks for the help

Phil

"Can I hook these speakers up in-line (8 ohm and 6 ohm) to get a 14 ohm pair and run on A channel?"

If your amp supports loads greater than 8 ohms...most do.

Another option is a swtich box that will perform the speaker switching option.  These switch boxes usally include on higher end models, the right internal parts to ensure a proper load on your amp.

connecting speakers in series raises the impedance of the load to the amplifier so the amp will have no problem driving the ~ 14 Ohm result. The down side is that the impedance curve of each speaker impacts the frequency response of the other and tonal balance will not be the same as running either speaker alone.

Running these speakers in parallel would result in a very low and unacceptable impedance to your amp.