Receiver suggestions for RSX-4s and RCX-4?

wallst32

I'm setting up a RCX-4 center channel and 4 RSX-4 satellites (L/R front, L/R rear). Haven't picked a sub yet.

I'm not much of an audiophile, so looking for suggestions on a good receiver match for this setup; one that isn't overkill for my needs and that will give me the best sounds from my R*SX-4s. Not sure what other manufacturers offer ipod docks, but that feature has drawn me to look at both Denon and Yamaha receivers. The video connections are not important since I'll be connecting everything directly to my TV. The more SPDIF and optical audio connections the better, although realistically, I probably only need 2 of each.

The setup will be in a small rectangular living room in a condo. At one end is the sofa, and the other an entertainment stand with center channel, TV, etc. There is about 11 feet of distance between the walls. The sofa is against the wall, and I have speaker stands that flank it on both sides. So the rears are only slightly behind and towards the side of the listener. I have space in either the rear left or front left corners for a sub.

I'll be using the setup for TV, DVDs (and eventually BD or HDDVD), audio CDs, ipod, XBOX360, and Windows Media Center streams.

Thanks.

I prefer new, but wouldn't mind buying a refurb from an authorized dealer on ebay.

Initially, I wasn't considering video connections since my TV has 3 HDMI v1.3. But I saw the specs on the upcoming Onkyo 605 and might consider rethinking that since it has 1.3a and supports the new "loss less" audio codecs. The MSRP at $499 seems reasonable, so I would say that price point or lower for HDMI 1.3 A/V. But any version lower than that or that supports only pass through, I would just use my TV instead and no sense in paying extra to have those ports on my receiver.

For a receiver without the fancy video connections, $300-350 would be my target price point. I would be willing to pay a little extra for any unit with Audessy self calibration, and I'm going to be buying a $75-100 ipod dock for whichever receiver I end up with.

Thanks.

I checked out the local costco today. They had HK AVR 145 for $279 which seems like a really good price. It's only 40W/channel and 5.1, but it does appear to have some type of ipod dock support.

The only other unit they had was a Denon 5.1 HT kit with a DVD player for $499; I think the receiver was 587.