done with powered subs

jdm56

Ditto the other posts regarding onboard amps...

I recently removed a pair of Dayton internal sub amplifiers and replaced with an external power amp. I, too had problems maintaining the gain setting, as though the control pot had issues. Think about it, how could internal amplification possibly be a good thing? Heat doesn't dissipate. The components are exposed to brutal shock and vibration. You can't adjust it from the front. How is any of that good?

I surmise what happened to the pot is that all the vibration wore a spot or otherwise damaged the wiper interface tot he resistor. I've seen it happen on industrial linear pots. ???. You would think the amps could take it, but at some point all that vibration has got to be a bad thing.

jocko

Now this post actually makes some sense.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently removed a pair of Dayton internal sub amplifiers and replaced with an external power amp. I, too had problems maintaining the gain setting, as though the control pot had issues. Think about it, how could internal amplification possibly be a good thing? Heat doesn't dissipate. The components are exposed to brutal shock and vibration. You can't adjust it from the front. How is any of that good?

I surmise what happened to the pot is that all the vibration wore a spot or Trueotherwise damaged the wiper interface tot he resistor. I've seen it happen on industrial linear pots. ???. You would think the amps could take it, but at some point all that vibration has got to be a bad thing.

jocko

True

Any sub with the amp built in is a sure way to speed electronics failure..Most cabinets are not inert enough ,as subs would have to be rock solid and weigh over 120lbs not to dance too much.Who wants a 400lbs sub?

Michael,

So how are the flares going....[:D] I have both TC-3000's home now.... [:D] I would need a giant smiley to express the joy. Starting the build this Sunday....all that is missing are flares...and the port tubing. PM me if you want.

This will be one mean machine of a TC Sounds vented monster,many advised me against going ported,but I have a secret recepie! [;)] Tune low,below the material that will be reproduced,bring high group delay down deep...and have the flatest curve possible.Least possible EQ use.I am going ported anyway. Later a few sealed and more ported.

Maybe even buy a few PR's from TC Sounds. I am on a rampage here.

EAR: been kinda busy here, hopefully tomorrow night I will have the mold finalized and ready to 'glass. I have a lot on the plate at the moment, but have not forgotten about you. How long are the vents? I have 72" of IPEX ring-tite here, and that might be best if I pre-assemble the one end at least. I will give you a shout when I have the first one made and send you a pic.

I surmise what happened to the pot is that all the vibration wore a spot or Trueotherwise damaged the wiper interface tot he resistor. I've seen it happen on industrial linear pots. ???. You would think the amps could take it, but at some point all that vibration has got to be a bad thing.

jocko

True

Any sub with the amp built in is a sure way to speed electronics failure..Most cabinets are not inert enough ,as subs would have to be rock solid and weigh over 120lbs not to dance too much.Who wants a 400lbs sub?

You do EAR and you know it.

Michael,

So how are the flares going....[:D] I have both TC-3000's home now.... [:D] I would need a giant smiley to express the joy. Starting the build this Sunday....all that is missing are flares...and the port tubing. PM me if you want.

This will be one mean machine of a TC Sounds vented monster,many advised me against going ported,but I have a secret recepie! [;)] Tune low,below the material that will be reproduced,bring high group delay down deep...and have the flatest curve possible.Least possible EQ use.I am going ported anyway. Later a few sealed and more ported.

Maybe even buy a few PR's from TC Sounds. I am on a rampage here.

You mean that you are building a sub that has road flares attached? Is this for when the power goes out and you still want to locate the sub?

Please explain.

EAR: been kinda busy here, hopefully tomorrow night I will have the mold finalized and ready to 'glass. I have a lot on the plate at the moment, but have not forgotten about you. How long are the vents? I have 72" of IPEX ring-tite here, and that might be best if I pre-assemble the one end at least. I will give you a shout when I have the first one made and send you a pic.

IPEX. Is that anything like SPANDEX?

jocko

True

ME

The ear, I still do not know how you will port dual lms5400.......... Also by porting you have alot more group delay, something that I know you dislike. BTW don't let me tell you a highly eq sealed sub (cough JL 113) do have as much group delay or even more than ported.

Jay,

Yes porting adds group delay around the tuning of the vents/PR's. I know this...also to get the best of both worlds(low group delay and extension).A larger box tuned very deep is needed,tuned below 16 or even below 14Hz. Ideal tuning is low,where group delay effects on SQ are low (in the 25Hz-80Hz range where it is critical to have low group delay forthe all known musicality )and the ears are forgiving of deviations below 18Hz.

jocko

True

ME

Well that's a weighty subject!!!