RP-5??

darylomer12

Hello everyone. I have a chance to purchase a pair of mint RP-5's for $350.00. I was just wondering if they would be a big step up from my RF-3's? I know they have built in sub's, but other than the lower bass extention, is there that much of a difference? I am going to listen to them Sunday, but what just curious to what your thoughts are. Aslo, would I have to worry about bass cancellation with my sub? I am under the assumpsion that people who purchase the RP-3's and 5's, usally don't need a sub or want a sub. Your input is appreciated...

Wow, it's been a real long time since these have been mentioned on the forum - even longer since I've heard a pair.

At best, I would consider the RP-5 more of a lateral move. I prefer to think of the RP-5 as an RB-3 with a built-in subwoofer. The only problem is that rarely is the best location for the mains also the best location for the subwoofer. Not to mention, the sub in the RP-5 isn't anything to write home about either. I would much sooner take the new Synergy Sub-12 from Best Buy.

Anyways, as always let your own ears be the final judge, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with RF-3 over the RP-5.

Thanks for your opinions. What I am worried about is when I listen to them at the sellers house they will sound great, but when I take them home, they sound the same as my RF-3's. Oh well, worse case scenario, I could always replace them with my RB-3's.[:D]

I recently sold my RP-5s. They sounded nice but I always felt like they were lacking mid bass. There didn't seem to be a smooth transition between the the mid and the woofer. Kind of like a hole in the sound. It was less noticeable during movies than music. I upgraded to RF-83s along with an SVS 25-31 PCI sub. I'm much happier with the system now. With the RP-5s, you're trading one of the 8" drivers in your RF-3s for a built in sub. I think that the 5s are worth a listen but in my experience, the money would be better spent in adding a quality sub to your existing speakers if you don't already have one. By the way, that is a good price. I sold mine for much more. Have you got a second room that needs speakers?

Thank you for your review. I will most likely put them in our living room that is currently being occupied by a cheap 5 channel HTIB. As of today, I still haven't heard them. I am going to listen to them this Friday, with my wife[Y]!! I was too busy this last weekend, installing new sod in our front yard and other fun yard stuff. Thank goodness the gentlemen that I am purchasing them from is willing to hold them for me for another couple days. Nothing like a little road trip with the wife huh ( about three hours ). I will keep you posted.... Oh, and welcome to the forum fallingdown.

Too lazy to look up the manual so I'll go on memory.

Turn the bass volume all the way down. As you are listening to music in the sweet spot have another person s-l-o-w-l-y increase bass volume incrementally. Increase... listen. Increase...listen. You're looking for a balanced sound. Most folks bass 'em up too much.

Keith

EDit> OK, I worked up the energy to see if a manual could be downloaded from this site. Read it before you go.

http://www.klipsch.com/media/products/owners-manuals/reference_om.pdf