If you hate newbie questions--just move along

Hipnotic_Tranz

I have the ability to buy the quintets (just the surrounds--no center or bass) for $200 shipped. I was thinking it would be nice to put in my new "home theater room" but of course, I would then want/need to buy a center and sub, preferably klipsch. Is it possible to buy just the center channel/sub for the quintet system through klipsch?

I've looked around and the cheapest center channel was ~$180 and I really don't wnana spend that kinda money on it. Nor do I want to spend that much on a bass. I'd like to stay under $200 for both the sub/center channel--don't even know if thats possible.

I'm kinda new to home audio and have kinda migrated from PC audio to home audio. I use my PC to play my DVD's and do amateur video editing and stuff like that. Right now I have the Midiland 8200's, which is a 200w 5.1 system but I'd really like to have something with a little more clarity and a harder hitting bass. Don't know if this is the right direction or not? It might just be easier/cheaper for me to buy the Pro 5.1's and hook them up to a reciever. Just curious Smile.gif Thanks for you're help.

This message has been edited by Hipnotic_Tranz on 12-15-2001 at 11:47 AM

The KSW-10 sub that is part of the Quintet package is available separately retail. I don't know if there is a way to get the Quintet center without buying the package. Call Klipsch.

You could use another Quintet satellite as the center. It is video shielded. Sonically it would be a perfect match. You just won't have the center channel form factor. Anything other reasonbably matched center would probably cost more. That would leave you with $150 or so for a sub. I doubt you will be able to find a KSW-10 for that, or for that matter, any decent powered sub. You should be able to find a passive sub in that price range.

You do need a sub with the Quintets. The 3 dB down point on the satellite and center is 100 Hz and 120 Hz respectively. In other words, you will be missing the bass without a sub.

If you are going to use the speakers for HT, I think you will be much better off with Quintets than the ProMedia 5.1. Quintets were designed for HT. ProMedia 5.1 were designed for game playing on a computer.

IMHO your best bet would be to find a complete Quintet system, with center channel and KSW-10. One can be had on eBay now fo $489. That's not much above your target price.

Thanks a lot. Yeah, I didn't really want to go for the Pro 5.1's because they were dedicated towards the PC where I would rather have an HT system. They are usually of higher sounding quality over all. I figured you could just use another quintet sat for hte center channel but as you said, it would be hard to get a decent sub without spending atleast $200.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to all this stuff really, but I'm getting the jist of it now. So now all I would need are those and a decent 5.1 reciever and I'd be good to go. Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.