Source for Forte passive radiators?

Joe A

Howdy folks,

I've owned a pair of walnut Fortes for around 15 years. I really like them and I'm thinking of upgrading my ancient home theater equipment but keeping the Fortes. While moving them recently I noticed the center circle (not the cone) in the passive radiator hand a couple of approx. 1 inch cuts in them. Probably my cats scratching them. I've never noticed a buzz but thought I'd try to find replacement radiators while I'm upgrading the rest of the components. Does anyone know of a good source for a proper replacement? They are Forte I's with 12" radiators.

I live in Rochester NY.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

The dust cap on a PR does not actually cover anything except the center of the cone (unlike on an active driver). It doesn't need to be replaced, but you might just close up the cuts with a little glue. If the aesthetics of glue blobs bother you, you can purchase dust covers from PartsExpress.com for small change and glue them on yourself. I seriously doubt that little cuts in the dust cap of a PR would have any effect on sound whatsoever. Others may have other opinions.

Calling the parts department at Klipsch is probably your best bet: 1-800-KLIPSCH

I would probably save myself a few bucks though and just patch up the scratches if they aren't too bad. If the cuts constitue as air leaks, then you'll most definitely need to replace them. The PR's I've seen usually have the dustcap covering the hole inside the former. They still use the former for the passives since that kind of suspension is already readily available.

We don't have replacments for the Forte passive any longer. My suggestion would be to either follow Bart's sage advice of glueing it the best you can, or if it is just the dust cap, have a qualified speaker repair shop replace JUST THE CAP. The mass of the cone and the suspension are critical to the passive's performance- do not replace them unless absolutely necessary.

Call in to me at Klipsch if you wish- number is below.

Michael

For what it's worth, when doing a cone or dust cap repair, I always use a little piece of paper towel behind the cut to act as a sort of patch. Get the entire paper towel soaked in glue and then the whole thing becomes more rigid than before. I doubt you'll be pushing the system too hard, but it never hurts to do it overkill the first time than to have to redo it again.