La Scala speakers with s-100c amplifier mounted - used with church organ

r2473

On Ebay in my area, there is a pair of La Scala speakers that were used in a local church. They have a S-100c amp mounted on the inside. Serial numbers are # LSBB 9R405 and # LSBB 6P706. I know that the "R" means 1977 and the "P" means 1976. They are reported to be in good condition both sonically and cosmetically. Here is a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180111689097&indexURL=0#ebayphotohosting

1) I plan on using these in a 2-channel setup. Does anyone know anything about the amp that is mounted? Is it any good? Will there be any problem hooking my integrated (Audiolab 8000A) to these?

2) Can the amp be easily bypassed or removed?

3) Does it matter that these are not matching and produced 1 year apart?

4) Are these years of production desirable? I have heard that these are "sought after"? Any reason why I would like or dislike them?

5) Any idea which woofer (K-33-E), tweeter (K-77-F), and midrange (K-55-X) are installed? The ones listed I think were just copied and pasted from the Klipsch website, with no regard to what is actually in the pair actually listed for sale.

6) Anything else I should know about these? Are they worth the $750 they state as the reserve?

7) I am aware that the Audiolab 8000A may not be the best match for these. I would probably seek out something else in the future (depending on if the above mentioned mounted amp can be removed).

Thanks for any / all answers and suggestions.

Guest " "

I can tell you what 1976 models have. k-55-v push pin type, k-77 alinco type, I don't recall the k-33 version...but it had the square magnets.

your right about question 5, it's just copy paste from the klipsch website.

There should be no problem removing the amp sine the crossovers are still intact.

I never heard of any particular years being sought after.

The value of the speakers should include consideration of shipping...if it is local your saving 200+ dollars. At some point, your going to want to restore the crossovers by having the caps replaced.

The auction is over now without a winner but the same guy will be selling more of these in the future. I met this guy to look at the last pair he sold. He's a Rogers organ tech for Heritage organ in Orem. He pulls maybe 6-8 of these type of La Scalas per year and sells them on ebay. From what I understand, Klipsch produced many La Scalas for organ installations with the Rogers booster amp installed. The only other difference is the top of the cabinet has screws so it can be removed to work on the amp. I easily removed the amp on mine without taking the top off, tested it and sold it on ebay for $88. The amps are 100 watt and are good amps. For music use you would need a preamp and you can turn the amp on by bypassing the power relay or give it 12VDC (polarity on the coil doesn't matter). This is the first pair I've seen with the amps on the left side. I bought one of these on ebay from a guy in SLC for $260 (less the amp -$180! and it was much nicer than these). I would see them in person before you buy. Also, remove the volume pots.

There is currently a beautiful pair of Khorns for sale in Sandy just waiting to be grabbed! I've seen them and they look much better than the photo, and the price is right!

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=1162929&cat=25&lpid=4

Also, I've noticed that some of these organ speakers have a slightly different angle on the front edge of the bass horn so the base of the triangle partially or fully overlaps or covers the edges of the straight pieces that they attach to. One of them had a tweeter with a round magnet and no screws with a Klipsch sticker on it - not an emblem or stamp.