Rear Center Surround RC-3 or RS-3

BrentMann

I'm planning on adding a rear-center surround (6.1) And I'm not sure on which to use. RC-3 or RS-3. I was planning on RC-3, but is a dipolar the better choice?

I've been reading these boards for a couple months, and seen both opinions. Does anyone have some "hands-on" with either? My room dimensions are 14 x 40, with the HT in half. The rear-center will be placed approx. half way back from the ceiling. Thanks in advance for your comments/suggestions.

Current Setup is:

RF-3's front

RC-3 center

RS-3's surround

M&K V-1250 sub

Mitsubishi 50"

Pioneer C-503 dvd-player

Sony DB STR-935 receiver (going to replace with an Integra 7.2 or 8.2)

brent, i use a single c7 (direct) for rear surround but that's on the shortwall between 2 cornwalls that are in the rear corners.

so depends where your surrounds are placed, but if they're on the sides, then in your case a single rc-3 for rear center may be fine if on the short wall. if u need more pick up another rc-3 for a couple $100.

i definitely think direct rad speaks should be used as rear surrounds w/ either wdst or direct type as surrounds. they tie together the reflecting sound to the rear center. also the es & ex formats whether matrix or discrete are designed for a directional (direct rad) rear surround effect. for me the single rear center brings together the rears in the same alignment w/ the front center and the fronts.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 12-17-2001 at 01:54 PM

I agree with boa. I use a pair of RS-3's as rear surrounds, but have heard systems with direct radiating speakers as rear surrounds, and like the effect a little better. The reason I do it this way is because my couch is right against the wall and it was easy to mount these above me angled down slightly. Due to WAF, I can't move my couch out from the wall. I'm trying to figure a way to mount Direct radiating speakers to the wall and still hear them (RB-5's possibly). But I still think my system sounds great with the RS-3's. Maybe I'll just wait till I do the basement. Then I'll do RF-5's or 7's!!!