What does it sound like if you have problems with a horn? Crackling?

sethhobrin

I noticed that at high volumes my center channel has a bit of crackling at certain spots in a movie. I'm trying to figure out if it is just the source material or if something is wrong with the horn on my RC-62 center channel. In War of the Worlds at the emergence scene when the thing blasts this really loud horn sound there is a faint crackling that I can hear. I've also noticed it with other things too. Its seems to be reproducable during certain sounds in movies.

What does a bad horn sound like? Any ideas?

Crackling as in the snap crackle pop of rice crispies is most likely an amplification issue...

Horn themsevles can't really go bad. They have the compression driver

mounted at the back and I suppose sometimes they can come loose. It

would never hurt to pull a woofer and reach around to make sure

everything is tight. While you're at it, make sure nothing is resting

against the woofers either (like the wires or insulation). These things

sound more like buzzes and rattles though - not really crackling. In

really bad cases the diaphragm can get a bit off center and start

scraping against the magnet/pole-piece. But that sounds like

grinding/crunching and means damage...

What kind of amplification are you running?

Are all your interconnects in good shape? Wiggle the plugs and wires around when playing some music and see if you can't induce any crackle.

And then what CD and DVD players are you using? Do your discs have scratches on them?

Are all your interconnects in good shape? Wiggle the plugs and wires around when playing some music and see if you can't induce any crackle.

And then what CD and DVD players are you using? Do your discs have scratches on them?

He said "wiggle"......[;)]

maybe crackling is a bad word. Kind of like distortion.

I have brand new banana plugs on brand new 14AWG speaker wire. No loose connections. It only happens at certain volumes and frequences... I dunno maybe it is just the source material.....

I am just curious because I just got the rc-62 not long ago and the screwes were loose on the speaker. I had to tighten them back up.

Crackling, I believe, comes from the woofer bottoming out. I know that is difficult to believe.

See if you can take the grill off your center and then see if the woofer is undergoing a lot of excursion at those parts of the program material.

This might be made more critical if you have the center set to large so that it is receiving low bass. Set it to small.

Gil