Heresy - Identification

Greetings ...

I recently acquired a pair of Heresy speakers at an estate sale. After browsing the website and forum I have not been able to locate the manufacturing or technical info, and I am hoping that someone on the forum can assist.

Speaker #1: Heresy model HD-BR SN 24P001

Speaker #2: Heresy model HD-BR SN 24P002

Speakers appear to be home finished, the backs do not appear to have been removed (screws unmarred). The cabinets are somewhat marred but in good condition overall. Anecdotal information is that they are one-owner and probably have not been overdriven.

This is my first venture into Klipsch audio.

I am currently refurbishing a pair of vintage ADS L1290-2 towers, which I purchased new in 1987. I also have an NAD 1020 preamp and Hafler DH200 power amp which I built from a kit.

And here is where it gets somewhat sticky: Would the Heresy's match well to the NAD/Hafler combo (100w/side)? How do the highs and middles compare, with the ADS's using soft-dome tweeters/mids and the Heresy's using (I assume) compression drivers/horns?

TIA

Not bad for a first go at it.

Heresy, Decorator, Birch, Raw

What does all this mean? Well it's a Heresy, that much we know. Decorator means that it probably came with flush front baffle (motor) board, with no edge reveal for grill and probably a nekkid wood front. Those cabinets were meant for the decorator (read homeowner) to finish in color of their choice. Birch is the veneer on the 7 ply 3/4 void-free plywood, and Raw means it came from the factory with no stain, no oil, no finish whatsover.

Welcome to the Madness.

Michael

Finding the technical specs here on the klipsch website for discontinued products can be a smidge less than obvious. On the front page, choose speakers, then floorstanding, then at the bottom of the page you should see the word discontinued. click that and you will see several pages of old speakers. Heresy is what you want to look at, not heresy II.

The P in the serial number means they were built in 1976, the very low suffix, 1 and 2 indicate they were the first 2 built in 1976. One owner would be quite a feat for that age of loudspeaker.

Once you listen to them for a while, such as a month or two, consider updating the capacitors in the crossover. There are some people on the forum here who can set you up with what you need to do that.

post-24571-13819333915516_thumb.gif

Thanks L&C

I checked out the page per your directions, Heresy II is listed but Heresy is not...

I have given them a quick listen, all the speakers and drivers appear to be functioning. Now for some cleaning, as some dust in evidence.

Thanks for the advice/info.

Thanks CP1

This pair does have a recess for a grill, the speaker baffle is black. The grill is thin masonite covered with a porous black woven material with a copper colored "Klipsch" logo top center. A 2-3-2 series of hook & loop attaches the grill to the baffleboard.

I have some pictures but haven't broken the code yet on uploading.

Very much appreciate the info.

Got it, thanks!

Info seems kind of minimal compared to newer audio measurements.

The boxes are rather large-ish, but I am considering using them as studio monitors, if the Heresy doesn't color the sound too much.

Has anyone done a spectral analysis on these boxes?

Thanks again L&C.