Dead speakers! :(

Dan Venancio

This is the second pair of promedia 4.1 speakers that I have purschased and then suddenly die 2 months after my warrenty ends. I now have 2 sets that just play hiss/static....thanks klipsch. I guess now I have the option to pay $100 to get them fixed. Lets count that up...$300 for the first pair, another $300 for the second pair and yep another $100 for repairs. Pretty darn expensive.

For all you new customers, think twice about buying promedia. I'll give it up to them, they sound awesome but your are playing russian roulette with a loaded gun when it comes to how long they will survive! Not to mention their customer service is very apethetic.

Dan you couldn't possibly be having any problems with your 4.1 promedia speakers Rolleyes.gif (sarcasim intended). Please read the press release by klipsch below and pay close attention to the last 2 paragraphs ...

quote:

Originally posted by Webmaster:

TO: All ProMedia 5.1 Owners and Future Customers

FROM: Mark Casavant, Director of ProMedia Product Development and Marketing

In August, I shared information with you about an unacceptable rate of failure with our newest computer audio system the ProMedia 5.1. Our engineers quickly identified the manufacturing process problems responsible for the failures and corrected them.

These problems occurred in less than 100 systems worldwide, and every single customer who experienced these problems immediately received a new ProMedia 5.1 system at absolutely no additional cost. Based on feedback from these customers, our efforts to resolve any issues have been satisfactory.

Unfortunately, a limited number of ProMedia 5.1 customers have experienced a different problem relating to the failure of what our engineers call a hybrid transistor. After hours of use at high volumes, this new problem causes a loud, shrill sound during play, which sounds similar to air being slowly released from a balloon. It may also cause the loss of one or more channels of output.

While every ProMedia 5.1 system passes a battery of quality control checks and performance tests, the problem I have described is limited and only shows up after hours and hours of operation. We have, of course, isolated the affected products and no further shipments having either the original process problems or the failing hybrid transistor will be made.

I do want to stress that these problems were identified for a limited number of the ProMedia 5.1 systems only. The ProMedia 2.1 and ProMedia 4.1 are continuing to perform at optimal levels and there is no need for concern with either of these highly regarded systems.

Again, only a limited number of ProMedia 5.1 systems are exhibiting the aforementioned problems.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

NOTHING-Thanks for NOTHING UBid!(No reciever)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV still kickin')

Eyes.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 12-17-2001 at 10:18 PM

Hmmm, your right BigBusa, according to the press i shouldn't be having any trouble with either set. Confident after reading the press letter I tried both 4.1 klipsch sets and guess what? Still hiss!!! My brother is having the same problem with his out in California. Thankfully he works for Maximum PC and is going to write a special article addressing these issues about the klipsch promedia.

Well, in my opinion a lot of people got ahold of some bad systems. My 4.1 system has been running 24/7 at optimal performance for a year strait. And I haven't had one major problem. Just a little static now when I turn the volume up and down. But they are a year old now. But the sound just keeps getting better. I hope everyone can get a system made right like mine. You would love it.

------------------

Tew #24

Yes, i have tried two different sound cards which both have worked fine. I even tried hooking my friends logitech speakers and they work fine with my system,diffinately the subs are blown. The second set actually fried one night when i came home from work. The sub was so hot to the touch that i thought i was going to burn my hand. After that incident the speaker system never worked again. I am thankful that my house didn't catch on fire. I would like klipsch to explain how this sub just blew up. Here are my variables:

1) the speakers/sub are connected to a battery backup surge protector which indicates no broken surge AND NORMAL FUNCTIONING WATTAGE/AMP FLOW.

2) i keep my volume level at 1/5 the max, the sub level at 1/5 the max, and the surround sound all the way at it's lowest setting. I just don't understand it? Two pairs in two years with many people having similiar problems with the amp of the sub system....hmmmm THE ANSWER IS SIMPLE DON'T BUY KLIPSCH IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GAMBLE YOUR MONEY!!!! SECOND, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS EXTREMELY RUDE, APETHETIC, AND AFTER EMAILING THEIR TECH SUPPORT TWICE I DID NOT EVEN GET A REPLY. I COULD GO ON AND ON, THE FACT IS THEIR SUPPORT AND PRODUCTS ARE UNPREDICTABLE AND UNRELIABLE.

• Moderators

Hi Dan,

I'm very sorry for your experience. I don't recall receiving an email from you, for whatever reason, however. Please resend to amy.platt@klipsch.com and I'll take care of you first thing Wednesday morning. Please put your name in the subject line so I can pick it out easily!

Please include information as to when/where you purchased the speakers, and where you received your replacement.

Thank you. And again, I apologize for your ordeal.

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com