Uncertain about PQ of Toshiba hdtv!

33klfan

I have the toshiba 42hl167. I love everything about it except regular dvd's have a sparkling noise to them. It does it played through a regular panasonic dvd player and through the toshiba hd a20 hddvd player, so i know it's not the source. Is it the quality of the dvd that the toshiba is picking apart or is the tv not reproducing it well. This is bothering me but i don't know how other hdtv's would look like. I didn't know if this was the toshiba or an lcd issue. I have it hooked up hdmi with a monoprice 24awg cable. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks.

The only thing I can contribute is that I have a Toshiba 37HL67 and using a Pioneer DVD player with component hookup reguler DVD's look great. That's at 480P. I can only imagine what 720P will look like, or if its even necessary. If and when I get the time I am going to buy an OPPO DVD player to find out.

Keith

I think it's just the dvd. I tried Troy hd dvd and the picture is phenomenal. No noise or artifacts. Simply stunning. The regular dvd is noise and not near the hd dvd. I watched v for vandetta on regular dvd and it has a lot less noise, so i guess it depends on the dvd recording.