My bad luck with subs continues (SUB-12 DOA?)

robbyrob

I brought home a brand new Klipsch SUB-12 today and it doesn't seem to work. I have an HK AVR147 receiver connected to it via an RCA cable to the LFE port. The blue light is on but there's no sound no matter what I do. I even messed up all of my receiver settings trying stuff with the crossover freq and boosting the dBs to it. I tried playing the helicopter scene from the movie "The Matrix" which has a lot of bass but nothing. I think the receiver works fine because my SVS sub was working (except for a hum issue... another thread) before I swapped them. Could it be DOA (dead on arrival)? Is there a good simple test to see if a sub is dead or not?

On the bright side, the SUB-12 doesn't hum.

Thanks, Rob.

I flipped it on its side and took out the 8 screws that were holding the downfiring driver in place (now I know what makes up most of the weight of a sub :) ). There were two wires connected to it so I pushed on them a bit just to make sure that they were fully connected. Then, I closed it back up and tried it again... same results. There must be something else wrong with it and I don't think bestbuy / Klipsch would want me messing around in there too much so I think at this point I'll just have to bring it back.

Just an update... I exchanged the defective SUB12 at bestbuy today for another brand new one and luckily it seems to work. Also, there is no humming sound like on the SVS even though they both have BASH amps (which I assume is a company that makes amps). So, I can only assume that the SVS is defective somehow. I must admit that the SVS appears to have better sounding bass but I haven't had much time to play around with the SUB12 yet and since it's downfiring then I'm sure a corner placement will make it sound better. Right now, I've just been testing them beside my entertainment cabinet with part of a door behind and stairs (going up) a few feet away on the other side.

Anyways, thanks everybody for all of your help.