NOBODY makes rear projection replacement screens?

Mallette

I find it extraordinary that one cannot find projection replacement screens. It seems disgusting to trash a perfectly good 50" rear projection TV simply because the screen is damaged. I've an old Toshiba that works perfectly well, except one of my children damaged the diffuser. I figured 100.00 or so and I'd simply replace it. Sheesh, it's just a flexible Fresnel lens in a frame and the plex behind it is fine. After an our or so of searching what I found was thousands of people all over the world looking for the same thing, and not a single answer.

Other than selling more sets, I cannot think of a single reason why this should be true.

Anybody run into this here?

Dave

Morning Dave,

You're not the first. I moved into an apartment a couple of years ago when my dad got sick. I strapped down my Panasonic RP and during the move the screens broke from overtightening the straps. Good move on my part eh?

Ok, I called around to some TV repair shops and found a used one here in Indy. It wasn't the correct size. I called around to a couple of glass repair shops and found one that would cut the screens to size. They put them on the work table, marked the size, and cut them without a problem. Brought them back here, Installed them, cleaned the lenses and mirrors. Like new picture. Total cost: $60

Six months later the Blue color gun went bad. I trashed the tv. The guns were $225 each X 3.

There's a bunch of RP's sitting in shops with bad color guns. I'll bet if you call around you can find a used one.

Check the web for something like "Fix your own TV". They might have the parts available. There was a post a couple of months ago is how I know about it.

Harry