Expert advise on new 5.1 system

JCHout

So this is what I am planning now that I came into some money: RF82's for my floor, RC62 for center, RS52's for surrounds, and RW-12d for my sub.

Here are my questions:

1. How would this be for a small, rectangular room?

2. If I bumped my floors up to RF-63's but kept everything else the same, would that improve my sound or hinder it? Reason is I will listen to alot of 2.0 music, but the obvious main purpose is for 5.1 sound.

3. Should I hold out for a RC-64 center? The room is fairly small and the center will be on top of an entertainment center, and it would seem to me that the RC-62 would be enough.

My receiver is a Pioneer Elite that has 130 watts per channel, and it sounds great with my Cerwin Vegas, but they will not last much longer, plus I have no sub, so I am interested in what you guys think. I have used Klipsch for several computer applications and I love them. Plus they are made in my state.

I suspect that this is not what you were anticipating, but your biggest issue will be low frequency standing waves. The biggest difference you can make will be installing corner traps in all four corners of the room (above the front speakers if you 'corner place') You might also consider sections of traps on the upper side walls at the junction of the wall and ceiling and also another on the back wall at the junction of the wall and ceiling.

For the corners I would cut wedges of 705 Owens Corning semi-rigid insulation (24 in x 48 in sections divided into 2 halves (24 in square) and then cut diagonally into triangles). Stack them (use can use a LIGHT coating of 3M adhesive but less is definitely better!) You can then cover the wedge with burlap or Guilford of Maine acoustic material (its rather pricey so unfinished muslin or burlap will work fine).

For the wall ceiling traps I would use 4 inch thick 24 inch wide 705 panels mounted at a 45 degree angle perpendicular to the bisector of the corner angle - (how's that for confusing?) - effectively forming the third side or hypotenuese of the right angle triangle formed with the two wall and ceiling surfaces.

That effectively answers question #1; however, spousal approval of the speakers alone is on thin ice as it is, so construction involving burlap is not an option, but thanks nonetheless. How about for the speakers themselves?

That effectively answers question #1

... construction involving burlap is not an option, but thanks nonetheless..

And 2.

Then use the Guilford of Maine FR701, STYLE 2100 fabric at @ $20 a yard. Its a better material than is used in your designer drapes.

Unbleached
and /or dyed muslin also works fine too on a budget. Sorry for
suggesting a cheaper alternative. Sometimes I forget where I am.

But whatever speakers you go with, you are going to have
a major issue with room modes. Your choice of speakers will not
overcome that.

JC welcome to the forum.

Mark is right & I defer to him. As for spks I think you're always better off to buy the best you can. You will likely have them forever being Klipsch. Definately buy the best center channel because it handles the bulk of the info in most multi-channel, especially dvd movies.