sub-12 settings

nklipschh

I am new to the home theater setup.

i have the F3 Home Theater System (F3, C3, S3, Sub-12) with a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver (http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=547398).

My room size is about 15x20 (but there is a stair case in it, so its a little smaller) and hardwood.

i am using Monster Ultra 600 Subwoofer Cable to connect to the 'LEFT/LFE' input on the sub and its located in the corner.

Using Saving Private Ryan and The Matrix as testers, and the DVD player is a Toshiba SD-3805 via digital coxial.

Originally i set the gain to half way and the lowpass all the way up to 120hz and let the Yamaha receiver do the auto calibration via a microphone, but the bass wasn't boomy.

So then i turned the gain a notch up and did some manual calibration:

Front SP - large

Center SP - small

surround L/R Sp - small

LFE/BASS OUT - subwoofer

Crossover - freq 200hz

subwoofer phase - normal

Speaker Level (Control Range: -10.0 to +10 dB | Control step: 0.5 dB | Initial setting: 0.0 dB) - all of the speakers are around the middle, which i am assuming is 0 dB and the subwoofer level is all the way towards the right which is +9db

-__________+

FL --------|---------

FR ---------|--------

C --------||--------

SWFR -----------------|

SL ----------|-------

SR ---------|--------
*my room has a weird arrangement so the speakers aren't exactly even with each other

For the LFE Level: the 'SPEAKER' is -10dB

After manually setting up the calibration, the bass was better, but not great.

Whats the ideal way for setting up the sub-12?

I like to feel the bass when watching movies

Should i connect the Y-adapter to the 'LFE/LEFT' and 'RIGHT' input on the sub12?

Should i turn the Gain all the way up, even though the yamaha manual recommends it to be half way.

If i turn the gain all the way up, will it cause any harm towards the receiver or subwoofer?

And is the yamaha receiver good enough for these speakers, or is it underpowered?

any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Set your crossover to 80hz and set your mains to small. Leave your gain in the middle and play a movie with lots of bass and slowly turn up the gain until it sounds good to you. I am sure the Ear will shed some light on your issue. He is kind of like the Yoda of Subwoofers:)

is setting up the speaker level for the subwoofer higher than the rest of the speakers fine?

i think its 10dB higher than the rest of the speakers, based on the chart below.

Speaker Level (Control Range: -10.0 to +10 dB | Control step: 0.5 dB
| Initial setting: 0.0 dB) - all of the speakers are around the middle,
which i am assuming is 0 dB and the subwoofer level is all the way
towards the right which is +9db

-__________+

FL --------|---------

FR ---------|--------

C --------||--------

SWFR -----------------|

SL ----------|-------

SR ---------|--------
*my room has a weird arrangement so the speakers aren't exactly even with each other

is setting up the speaker level for the subwoofer higher than the rest of the speakers fine?

Ideally, no. Realize that you can control the sub's volume with both the receiver's level and the sub's volume knob. Try and find the level where you have to set the sub's volume knob in order for it's level in the receiver to be closer to the middle as opposed to all the way up.

I set the sub's level to about 80%, then adjust to balance with the receivers volume setup controls. I'm not a fan of pushing any channel to 100% or into the '+' range within the receiver. If you need that much bass, time for a larger sub imho.

experiment with the sub's Phase switch, with those larger mains, you may find that there is more bass with the switch in one postion. Best way is for you to get in your fave seat, have someone switch the Phase back and forth, if it sounds like more bass in one setting, leave it there.

Michael

I set the sub's level to about 80%, then adjust to balance with the receivers volume setup controls. I'm not a fan of pushing any channel to 100% or into the '+' range within the receiver. If you need that much bass, time for a larger sub imho.

experiment with the sub's Phase switch, with those larger mains, you may find that there is more bass with the switch in one postion. Best way is for you to get in your fave seat, have someone switch the Phase back and forth, if it sounds like more bass in one setting, leave it there.

Michael

Michael, I have my gain on my subs at approx. 20% and my reciever at 0db. I've thought about setting it the way you mentioned. What is the advantage of setting it that way? Cleaner bass? Do you use a Feedback Destroyer or an eq of some kind with your subs? I use a BFD with my subs so I wonder if I set it your way if my settings would have to be changed. Thanks, Scott.

michael-

when you set your sub's level to about 80%, do you do that in the receiver or via the gain knob on the sub?

He's talking about the gain level on his sub. He likes to keep the sub's trim level in his receiver around "0dB".

But it doesn't matter what he sets his sub's gain knob to. What's important is that you find a level to set your sub's gain knob to such that you don't have to set the sub's trim level in the receiver to drastically + or - values (+9dB in your example).

What is it you don't understand?