Bookshelf speakers

danxc21

well i have a simple question.

what bookshelf speakers should i get.

im partial to B&W, but klipsch are great speakers and i want to know from an educated audience on what i should get.

its for my computer, but i dont want a promedia set, i want to have good sound at my computer.

im running them into a RX-V861 Yamaha reciever.

The thinkg to consider with computer speakers is their footprint. Typically you don't have a lot of room on the desk. If that's not an issue a nice pair of RB51's and a RC52 would sound excellent. The other option would be the RVX-42 LCR. You'll also want to pick out a subwoofer, RW-10, RPW10 or SUB-10 would be good choices.

IMHO,

I've never been able to sell myself on the idea of hi-fi from my computer. Even with a good sound card, it seems to me like there's too much electrical interference and potential for quality loss inside of a computer case to justify using it as a hi-fi source.

Personally I'd pick up a set of pro-media 2.1's and call it a day. If you really want to hear your MP3 playlist through a nice set of speakers- get a roku soundbridge or something similar and run them to your stereo over wi-fi (bypassing any sort of D/A conversion inside your computer case).

If you're dead-set on your project, any reference series bookshelf speaker will do well. Space on or around your computer desk would be the only limiting factor. You'll also want to get a sub.

perhaps my ear isn't quite as discerning as the next guy's, but despite the spectre of electrical noise, I have never heard it and therefore have loved my stereo setup paired with my computer and the trusty Winamp. I have a classic old Pioneer stereo from the 70's with a blue faceplate (which looks like a Marantz), and have used a pair of floorstanding speakers from Canada and then a pair of SB-3s. This has been wholly acceptable to me, and performed well enough by comparison to my set of JBL computer speakers with sub that I would not consider going back for a moment. If you're going with bookshelf speakers and want the bigger ones (a commendable option) but don't have room for their footprint on your desk, there's always the speaker stand option (which is pretty inexpensive):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230138283610&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=230138244028&rd=1&rd=1