Which receiver/subwoofer to get?

AOmagman78

Hey, I'm a total audio noob. And there are a million options for subwoofers and receivers. I just inherited an old pair of Quartets from my uncle and recently purchased a KV-3 center channel and am looking at gettin' some KG 2.2's as my surrounds. Now I need a receiver and subwoofer. I'm gonna be using the system mostly for home theater and have had a lot of trouble finding out what to buy for these components. I've heard a couple good things about SVS subs and found a decently priced one on ebay, but that would be a splurge for me. As for receiver I've been looking at the Yamaha RXV661. Do these sound like quality choices? Do you have any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

The 661 would be a fine HTR.

When I got my Yamaha RX-V659 earlier this year, I wanted a sub and narrowed it down to 3 choices of companies: Outlaw Audio, SVS, and HSU. Ended up with an HSU STF-2 and it's worked well for me in my 11 x 18 x 8' basement room. I would only buy a subwoofer from an authorized dealer or internet company with a warranty, UNLESS it was a GREAT buy.