What Klipsch speakers do I match with a receiver and a subwoofer?

beergeek

I am getting a Sony STR-DB930 receiver.
I am also getting a Klipsch SW-8 subwoofer.
I also plan on using top notch quality cabling.
This setup will be for a townhouse bedroom and someday and living room in a house I will own.

What kind of Klipsch speakers would go well with this setup?
I did find some Klipsch KG2 speakers (bookshelf) for around $100.
Would this be a good setup to go with the above until I buy my house and get my powerful tower speakers?

Thanks for any input, I am fairly new with stereo equipment, but learning and want to put together a quality system.
I really don't care about Dolby and surround sound (5 speakers) at this time, I just want some good sound for music,tv and movies.

Welcome to the forum!

Need some more info before suggesting any Klipsch speakers that will match your needs.

1) Do you have any idea how big your future living room will be and how long before you move to the new house?

2) How big is your townhouse bedroom?

3) How loud do you like the music?

4) How much do you want to spend?

As far as your equipment someone else will have to give you advice on it.

Lost of great people on the forum that can help you with the info, research, finding and buying the speakers so just don't rush into anything yet.

Klipsch KG2.5's and an SW 8 series II sub will make a decent 2-channel rig for a small room. Buy a pair of stands from www.partsexpress.com for arounds $35 for the 2.5's, probably 24" stands would be fine (tweeter at ear level when seated). Buy speaker wire at PE too.

The SW8 has speaker level and line level inputs and outputs, run speaker wire from receiver L/R speaker outputs to sub speaker level inputs, then from sub speaker outputs to L/R KG2.5. Adjust sub and you're ready to go.

Buy a used stereo receiver and save some more money, as Maron said. Do a search on HK receivers here. Will sound nice for little money.

Keith

If you haven't already commited to the Sony with no turning back, you might do some checking here on the Forum as to whether it's a good mate to Klipsch speakers. Been awhile since I've looked, but my recollection was that it may not be the best match - a little "bright" for Klipsch speakers, and it might get to sounding a little fatiguing. Probably the most popular with Klipsch speakers (in that price-category anyway) are Denon, Harman Kardon, and maybe Outlaw and Yamaha.

1) no idea, maybe 1-2 years before I move.

2) townhouse bedroom is 13x13, one window.

3) I like my music not to loud, loudness isn't a factor here, I want clean crisp sound. The better it sounds the happier it makes me.

4) I want to spend less than $200 on a set of used Klipsch speakers. I am not sure if I would need the SW-8 sub if the speakers have thier own woofers. I want to build a decent used system (receiver & speakers) for around $500 or less.

beergeek,

Welcome to the forum.

Your speakers are far and away the most important piece of gear in your system. Generally that means in choosing speakers to get the most of what you like within your budget. For example, if you were comparing a receiver of $500 to $800 with $300 in cables, generally speaking, you would do best to take the $500 receiver and basic cables freeing up $800 to add to your speaker budget. That's a hypothetical that would work, IMO, in most scenarios.

Lots of speakers benefit from having a sub for help. Having it dialed in right to pick up as the speakers drop off is important. Also many folks throw too much sub into the mix. It takes a surprising little bit of sub volume to round out the bottom end nicely.

I'd say about any Klipsch speakers you can get hold of will serve you nicely.