Citation II or Dynaco St-70 for the Cornwall IIs?

jimdetroit

"I was told by one person in here that the C II could be a little harsh with the horns as it's more of a "rock and roll" tube amp."

That's fine for that person, and you (might) think the same after hearing them. But as Olbuckster mentioned, since you have both amps, why not listen to each one and let your own perceptions be your guide? I guess I think audio is something for which we have the luxury of personal choice, and you have both amps on hand to listen to.

I'm using an ST-70 on Heresies right now, and the combination sounds just fine to me. These particular Heresies are a little lean in the bass dept., though, and would probably benefit from the addition of a decent subwoofer. Other than that, this well-built and updated (stock) ST-70 sounds very good.

Try 'em both!

Erik

Like others have advised try them both with an open mind (ears). But that could be problematic if they are both still original it's hard to say if they would be performing properly so your listening could be for naught. 45+ year old tube gear often works but rarely works properly so you could end up listening to one or both in poor electrical/sonic condition. The Citation is worth a good bit more money and if in good working order with its stock circuit would sound better then the stock ST-70 circuit. With a complete modification and rebuild on the ST70 the lines would blur. The ST-70 will never have a bottom end slam of the Citation no way no how. But the Citation will never have the mid range and HF of the ST-70 after mods and rebuild. In the end only your ears can guide you, we all have different preferences.

Craig