Cats and Cornwall's

rcarlton

A friend of mine bought a pair of 1980 oiled walnut Cornwall I's. They came with the original documentation. Sold new for $1,396.00, he got them for $430.00

Problem...looks as if a cat peed on the riser and grills of the speakers. The risers smell and are separating. The bottom of the grill doesn't look too good (didn't smell it). One side of a Cornwall is bleached near the bottom, either from the sun or cat pee. Any suggestions in getting these babies back in shape so they meet the dreaded WAF?

Attached is a picture of the front grill. Also notice one Klipsch badge missing. No big deal.

How can you be sure it was cat piss? Perhaps the old owner was incontinent.

Perhaps the large fish tank sitting on top of the speakers was leaking fluid.

Uh, Mark, it was the previous owner, not the current one.

It wasn't 'aimed' at any particular person. I tried to make the "you" a more apparent editorial 'you' - referring to whomever may be reading the post, if the shoe fit as it were...

It was just in regards to the oft recurring theme where folks freak out (usually) over some perceived threat by cats in regards to their stereo.

There you go again Mark, having to explain your statements. Always explaining jokes and statements. Just leave them wondering.

Uh, Mark, it was the previous owner, not the current one.

It wasn't 'aimed' at any particular person. I tried to make the "you" a more apparent editorial 'you' - referring to whomever may be reading the post, if the shoe fit as it were...

It was just in regards to the oft recurring theme where folks freak out (usually) over some perceived threat by cats in regards to their stereo.

And regarding how much fun I am at parties...my cat (a Bombay which is, as best I can tell, half monkey and half dog) and I have a mutual non-disclosure agreement. After all, if one of us were to talk, the other would talk, and then we would both end up in jail...[;)]

Of course, if he (the cat) talked, I wonder if he would end up in jail before or after his appearance on Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, et. al.? Now what would Paris do???

Hey Mark, do you think anyone is paying attention to this?

I'm not disagreeing with you Mas. You just came off a little.....um.....harsh at nobody in particular??

Harsh?

Let's see...If you choose to have pets you become, in effect, a dictator - literally... and hopefully a benevolent dictator in that YOU have assumed the role of being totally responsible for providing for the needs of the pet.

If you provide facilities that meet the animal's needs (and scratching for a cat is a necessity), they will use them. Provide facilities that are less attractive than others, and they will use what is more effective and hence attractive. They aren't out after your speakers, etc.; rather they are simply using what is most appropriate for their needs. And, like it or not, a rational discussion is likely to receive no less than a quizzical look at the silly human who erroneously thinks that a technique that fails with most humans will suddenly work with an animal.

Bottomline, its the pet owner's responsibility to provide for the needs of the animals. If they fail to do that, the animal will find whatever they can that most fits their needs. And if they find something other than what you think they should...well take the credit! You've earned it.

If reality is so "harsh", you might not what to assume (or, in a problem case, fail to assume) the responsibility for a pet. Stick to having pet humans. I think they are called "kids".

Unfortunately this issue has come up several times in the past with too

many of the suggested draconian 'solutions'(sic) being ways to 'modify' the cat

(declawing, etc.) which places the responsibility on the animal rather

than the owner. Gee, the kid got into the cookies, let's cut off his hands....

My comments are aimed precisely at these historical forum precedents.

But, yes, pet ownership carries responsibilities. If that is harsh....OK. But I have never found providing for pet's needs as being particularly difficult or harsh. And I apply the same standards to myself. And I haven't found myself scratching a speaker grill for many years now.

Oh, and if you have a cat, may I make a suggestion that has worked tremendously well for me. You can get scraps of sisal rug for free at most rug outlets (or talk to an installer and ask him to save you a few). Attach them to the outside corners of walls with stout Velcro tape - sufficient that the remnant is solidly attached and doesn't move when pressure is applied. This remnant, when wrapped around the corner of a wall becomes a FAVORITE spot for a cat to scratch and I have NO problem with the occasional trying out of the sofa. They can stretch and they have various angles from which they can approach the material. And if you like, a bit of catnip behind the remnant in a small sachet works well too...

OK, you guys can go back to what you were discussing before we got off on this....[;)]

I'm not disagreeing with you Mas. You just came off a little.....um.....harsh at nobody in particular??

Harsh?

Let's see...If you choose to have pets you become, in effect, a dictator - literally... and hopefully a benevolent dictator in that YOU have assumed the role of being totally responsible for providing for the needs of the pet.

If you provide facilities that meet the animal's needs (and scratching for a cat is a necessity), they will use them. Provide facilities that are less attractive than others, and they will use what is more effective and hence attractive. They aren't out after your speakers, etc.; rather they are simply using what is most appropriate for their needs. And, like it or not, a rational discussion is likely to receive no less than a quizzical look at the silly human who erroneously thinks that a technique that fails with most humans will suddenly work with an animal.

Bottomline, its the pet owner's responsibility to provide for the needs of the animals. If they fail to do that, the animal will find whatever they can that most fits their needs. And if they find something other than what you think they should...well take the credit! You've earned it.

If reality is so "harsh", you might not what to assume (or, in a problem case, fail to assume) the responsibility for a pet. Stick to having pet humans. I think they are called "kids".

Unfortunately this issue has come up several times in the past with too many of the suggested draconian 'solutions'(sic) being ways to 'modify' the cat (declawing, etc.) which places the responsibility on the animal rather than the owner. Gee, the kid got into the cookies, let's cut off his hands.... My comments are aimed precisely at these historical forum precedents.

But, yes, pet ownership carries responsibilities. If that is harsh....OK. But I have never found providing for pet's needs as being particularly difficult or harsh. And I apply the same standards to myself. And I haven't found myself scratching a speaker grill for many years now.

Oh, and if you have a cat, may I make a suggestion that has worked tremendously well for me. You can get scraps of sisal rug for free at most rug outlets (or talk to an installer and ask him to save you a few). Attach them to the outside corners of walls with stout Velcro tape - sufficient that the remnant is solidly attached and doesn't move when pressure is applied. This remnant, when wrapped around the corner of a wall becomes a FAVORITE spot for a cat to scratch and I have NO problem with the occasional trying out of the sofa. They can stretch and they have various angles from which they can approach the material. And if you like, a bit of catnip behind the remnant in a small sachet works well too...

OK, you guys can go back to what you were discussing before we got off on this....[;)]

Let me try this again.

Hey Mark, do you think anyone is paying attention to this?

I have no pets.

Maybe this is the answer that we have all been searching for.

I think you're on to something. That's why I have no kids.

But I wonder....would de-clawing be effective on them?.... [:P]

No, but they are tax deductable and they come in handy if and when you reach old age.

I have no pets.

No, but they are tax deductable and they come in handy if and when you reach old age.

I'll have to remember that math...spend hundreds of thousands to save a few thousand on taxes....Roc, have you ever considered running for Congress? You're already set with that (il)logic!

[;)] [:P]

Oh, and I know that nobody cares what I post. It's just funny that so many seem to have so many questions and non sequitur comments for so many who don't care...

[*-)]

I have no pets.

I'll have to remember that math...spend hundreds of thousands to save a few thousand on taxes....Roc, have you ever considered running for Congress? You're already set with that (il)logic!

[;)] [:P]

Oh, and I know that nobody cares what I post. It's just funny that so many seem to have so many questions and non sequitur comments for so many who don't care...

[*-)]

...and who don't remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where I got it, but I have a 1980 price list:

Cornwall

CB-R Birch Raw with grill cloth 495.00 Ea

C-BB Birch Black with grill cloth 495.00

C-WO Walnut Oil 638.00

C-WL Walnut Laquer 638.00

RV2 Riser Base for above model add 13.00

C-RL Rosewood Laquer 813.00

C-OL Oak Laquer 813.00