Klipsch Epic CF4 High Horn Broken...Please Help Me...

John Lee

Hello...

My Dad left me a pair of Epic CF4 (He passed away recently). Recently, I found out that there isn't any sound coming from the left speaker's high horn. I want to fix them by myself because I am only 19 years old, and I don't have enough money to send it to professional to fix. I want to take the high horn out myself and see if there any wires coming off. Is it hard to take the high horn out of the speaker. I saw six screws in front of the high horn, and can I unscrew them? Also, are there complex wires in the back of the high horn. Should I watch out for the foam in the back? If the high horn is broken, about how much will the horn cost if i order from Klipsch? Is it possible that there are problems in the wiring of the high horn?

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME TIPS...

Can someone give me a step by step procedures?

Your helps are deeply appreciated

Thank you very much

Hi,

If "broken" means not working, probably either a bad connection, loose wire, or bad diaphragm.  I am not familiar with the high driver in the CF-4.  Should be a 2 inch aluminum diaphragm, but I have never had one of those apart.

Bob Crites

There are not any sound coming from the high HORN, and I hooked the wire to high horn speaker only, and there are no sound coming from the SPEAKER. Therefore, I conclude that the high horn in the speaker must be broken. (The bass in the speaker still works, but it is just the high horn that is broken).

Probably just needs a new diaphragm then.  You would need to call Klipsch parts to get the diaphragm and then install it in the driver.  You can of course swap the one from the good speaker to make sure that is the problem.

Bob Crites

Hello John Lee and welcome to the Fourm! Sorry about your loss.. I own the CF-4's as well and I can walk you through the process.Have you removed the horn yet and checked out the wiring inside for loose connections??? First thing to do is to check Ebay for the K-63-KN, if no luck then call 1-800-KLIPSCH & talk to the parts dept. Tell them yo need the K-63-KN diaphram. I beleave that they are pricy @ around $250 or more. That should get you going again. Now to remove the diaphram you unscrew the horn lens from the cabnet, and when you have that out, unscrew the horn lens from the driver/magnet assembily. Next there will be four philips screws to remove. Thats what holds the phase plug to the magnet. After those are out, gently pull the phase plug up very gently, (it can be a little work to pull it off of the magnet assembly) And after that is off then you will see the 2" diaphram. pull that out,and very carefully put the new diaphram in. Dont touch the dome of the diaphrams,they are very delicate and dent very easy. Good luck! The CF-4's are a great speaker! any more questions just PM me.

Hello....

Thanks for your help. I have not take out the horn yet. So, steps are

1. I remove the speaker cover from the speaker.

2. I unscrew the 8 screws on the horn from the speaker.

3. When I remove the horn from the speaker....Do I immediately see the diaphram ,or there is like a box containing the diaphram , and I need to unscrew the screws on the box in order to get into the diaphram?

4. Also, you mean check on loose connection, can I check the connection without opening the box that containing the diaphram?

5. IF the connections are okay, are you 100 % sure that the diaphram is broken and it is diaphram's fault? (could it be the wiring inside the speaker that has the problem)?

-Sorry, I have to make sure because I don't have a lot money....

Also, do you live anywhere near Olando ? ( just asking because maybe you can help me)..

Thank you very much

John

Be careful with # 2. If you remove the horn with the speaker laying flat, a screw could fall into the unit.

If you unscrew them with the speaker up normally, the driver may just fall out. I would hope, if you had been moving the speakers, it may just be a loose wire. If the wires are attached, I'd check other wires in the box, as you should be able to see most of the interior with a flashlight and a mirror.

Hopefully you make out cheap and it's just a loose wire!!

No you wont see the diaphram right away. you have to disasmble the driver to get to it. Follow the steps I gave and you should be alright. As far as checking the connections, just check the wires going to the drivers themselves. Although... the horn driver could be loose in the actual connection itself. I had this problem with mine when I first got them last year. The horn would cut in and out. Tomorrow I will upload some pics to further help you along.