Tube Amps

As a newbie, I am not as versed as many found on the forums. I am looking for a beginning spot for tube amps. Does one have to have a preamp as well? Where does one begin? I see amps over $10,000 and I think of Bob Crites definition of an audiophile! I have a turntable, a cheap CD player, an integrated Marantz stereo receiver from the 70's, and Cornwalls. I think this sound is awesome. How much is a decent tube amp, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input.

You could buy an integrated tube amp and that would include the preamp as well. A nicely rebuilt Scott 299 or similiar would run about $600. Your other option would be an amp only. You could buy mono blocs which would consist of 2 amps, one for each channel or a stereo amp (both on one chassis) like the Dynaco ST70. It's more difficult to find a reasonably priced amp-only but if you did, you could use your Marantz as a preamp. There should be "Amp-Out/Preamp-In" RCA connections on the back of your Marantz.

A nice set of tube amps or a tube stereo amp would cost anywhere from $500 and up, probably up. If I was just starting out, I'd try to find a nice Scott in the $600 range that was already rebuilt by Craig (NOSValves here on the forum) and if you like it better than your Marantz, you could sell it. Vintage Marantz products are always in demand. Probably 100 of us or more around here (myself included) began our tube life this way.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I would second the recommendation for the Scott 299. I think I have about $600 or less invested in my Scott 299A including the NOSValves rebuild and couple of minor upgrades. To get noticeably better sound I would have to spend several times that amount. A tube amp such as the Scott (299B if you listen to heavy rock) will pair nicely with the super-efficient Cornwalls. I have yet to notice much difference between CD players in the under $300 category so for the cost of the amp alone I think you will be very pleased.

• Like 1