Need some advice on Quintet/Sub 10 setup.

chriskir

Hi All,

First time poster and first time Klipsch owner! I am also a complete audio-newb so I I will try and not make any techincal mistakes. ;)

I just purchsed the Quintet III and 10" Sub for my small condo for my first 5.1 setup. I'm definitely excited!. On the couch I'm about 8ft away from the TV with high vaulted ceilings. I have two options for sub placement.

1) On the side of the couch beaneath armrest (easy access to sub dials/settings)
2) Behind the entertainment center/TV. (No easy access to sub)
3) Behind Couch. (easy access to sub settings)

Question is with such a small living room since the sub is down firing does it really matter sound wise where the sub goes? I don't want to have to deal with changing sub settings all the time from in back of the TV since it's hard to get to. However, if the sound quality will be much better than I can move it if necessary. I was told that simply running an RCA to the Sub by itself makes it pretty easy and sounds good without many tweaks or worrying about crossover settings etc. Thanks in advance!

P.S if anyone has reccomendations between the new Yamaha RX-V661BL receiver vs the new Onkyo 605 I would love to hear them!

The best thing to do I think is to try listening to the same song or movie or whatever you wish and try it in all the sub locations to see what sounds best for you. In my tiny room I can't really tell much difference in where it is so I just leave it where I have access to it. I let my receiver do it's auto setup and it sounds great in movies but for music I usually turn up my sub volume so having access to it is nice.