Promedia 4.1 supply voltages

bgabor

I have a dead one, and the powersupply has failed in a manner that can't be fixed. I decided to build another supply for this 4.1, but if someone could send a working powersupply panel, than also would be fine.

I need the correct voltages outputted by the Promedia's powersupply. I know that it feeds some 7815/7915 from a secondary line and maybe has some controlling signals. This line should be somewhere 18-28V i guess. The power amlifier has two wires going to it, it maybe a single, 24V supply, or what?

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks a very lot!

So at the first point: You are about to disassemble and measure a unit with mains voltage connected, so there are dangerous voltages inside. If You feel any doubt about anything of it, please, don't do! Your life values much more than this unit.

You have to disassemble the unit, but the panels should be okay without taking them off from the backplane and its secure anyway. Lay down the unit on its back, so the panels are looking upward. Please, put the usually black GND line of the multimeter to a convenient metal surface, for example the backplane's screw-holes. Ensure good contact, as the hole is much bigger than the probe usually used. We (aahm, so You :-) ) will measure the connectors on the soldering side. The amplifier board is the easier: There are 2 wires going from the power supply in it, on the left and right edges of the panel, measure them from the opposite side. As for its unconfirmed, please do a measure between the two wires, also.

The other cable is a ribbon cable and supplies voltages from the powersupply to the preamp's and logics's own stabilizers. The panel also holds the I/O connectors, and the rectifiers and filters of the primary side at the right side, so be very careful to not getting too close to those devices (they are well-isolated and placed a bit far from the other components)! You will measure again the ribbon cable connector's soldered opposite side pin by pin. Be careful to not short the pins.

And that's all! :-)

thanks for the detailed tips. it does sound a bit too risky for a first timer. However, my system is at a service center right now and i plan to pick it up in a few days. I can ask the repair guy to give me the measurements if you can show me the locations on a pic maybe... that way you can be sure... and i can live to listen to the system again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lol, you guys are crazy.

It's a long shot, but you might be able to get the numbers from Klipsch Tech Support...

1-800-KLIPSCH

They're pretty lenient about information surrounding discontinued products.

But if you were going to go through all this work, I think you would be better off just purchasing a receiver.

What is that funny to laughing on it? I am a graded tehcnician and engeener, do You think buying another receiver for the price of ohoho would be better than fix a relatively easy problem by building a new powersupply?

I am in Hungary, so calling 1-800 not works for me.

I figure that a receiver can be found for around $100 and puts you in a position to easily upgrade in the future. I would expect the power suppy should cost under $10 to replace, but then there's all the time spent with the trouble shooting process. I dunno how much your time is worth, but it's gotta bring the total close to $100...and then it's all that work for at best identical performance.

The funny part was you trying to have a guy on the other side of the world do the measurement for you and then his unit ended up being bad anyway. I would offer to measure for you, but I only have the 2.1 and I doubt they're running the same voltages.

Perhaps Klipsch has an email address for their tech support. I suppose you could always try emailing Amy, the forum moderator.

Thank You for that advice about email. In fact, i don't, so didn't suppose that they will be up on my problem and help, just the official answer about offering the new lines for buying-As You did. Your offer appreciated anyway! Maybe the voltages are the same, in fact i am in trouble only with the power amplifiers. If Yours shows the similar opamp&2 complementary FETs structure, the voltages should be the same or near.

About time consuming: I have done the measurements and repair tips found here but the PS board is dead. It was about an hour. Now, i am seeking for the specs of it and started this thread. It's living in one window of my Opera, so i just have to take a look to find answers-not sounds bad at all :-) and also i like writing threads and maybe help to others. The new PSU unit may be a bit time-consuming to build, but that's a fact. I am still far from $100 all in all. And what more: Instead of junking down this thing and make some more bad to the nature around, i'm trying to fix it and have it work for some more years. I am usually pointed on this thing, maybe not as easy, but better to my feel. Upgrading-on a unit connected to a PC to make some sound-like voices? This puppy should be enough to do the work :-) .

Thank You Your help!

When you mentioned that you were from Norway I figured you were gonna bring up the environment. [Y]

I just realized today that my amp isn't down here at college with me...so it will be probably a month

before I make it back home to measure the amp, but if you don't have an

answer by then I'll be able to open it up and see if its even remotely

similar.

Do they have the phrase "Young grasshopper" in Norway? It's tough being the young guy around these parts...I think I know everything and need to be steered in the right direction (at least that's what the old guys think) [;)]

• 2 weeks later...