Which TT for 2nd System

GBSLPS

Vinyl fans looking at replacing a Dual 1219 in my second system that consists of Heresy III's, Sam Kim Audio Heathkit 151A. I am thinking of a direct drive Technics SL 1210 from KABUSA or a Thorens idler drive TD 124.

Give your opinions on either or both tables or some other table. Should I consider another Thorens like the TD 160 II or TD 125?

Thanks

I have got a 1219 in my bedroom rig and I really like it. I am running a Grado Black cartridge and I am debating on whether to upgrade the cartridge. I just am concerned with overspending on the cartridge. I guess I am asking which cartridge you are using and/or have used? Any suggestions from anyone on how much cartridge is too much for this table and arm?

Reading this thread reminded me of how big a commitment it is to change cartridges on most all tables. You have to decide to live with one for a while and then go through the elaborate setup and adjustment. And then hope it synergizes with the rest of the system.

How much cartridge is too much?

In my system the cartridge collection
is about 50% of the total system value. Extreme by suggested standards.

I have eight cartridges, one conical, two eliptical, and five contact line for my B&O and I change the one in service quite often, at least every few days - takes literally less than two seconds. The conical ("spherical") is my stunt cartridge. For most ordinary records I use one of the elipticals, but for my best and favorite records I place one of the contact lines. Sonny Rollins, Igor Stravinski, and King Crimson, for example, always get my best contact line.

Currently using a Grado ZTE+1 bought that one a few years back because it comes with extra stylus for 78's

It sounds good with the stereo stylus on 33's but I would bet your black sounds better.

I had an old Shure don't remember which, I did not care for but I think it was well used.

Glenn

I recently purchased a 20 year old Technics SL-1200 MK2 for $80.00 with dust cover. When I bought it I took a chance on it, there was some play in the arm bearing and it was pretty dirty. Cleaned it up, adjusted the arm bearing, installed a Denon DL-110 cartridge and through it into the system. The 1200 MK2 is a very good table new or used, for the money I dont know of another table that is as reliable and speed stable, it will give you a major slice of high end tables when set up properly. It also has pace and rythm that some expensive decks don't do all that well. The table does benefit from a good record weight and i will try some of the KAB tweaks down the road. A good phono stage will let you hear what this table is capable of, I am using a Graham Slee.

Phill