Speaker Matching ? (RF-7s, RC-64 and RF-15 rears)

Groto

Hello!

I currently have 2 cherry
rf-7s. My friend has less then a year old cherry RF-15s that are in
perfect condition. He's going to sell these for 300 dollars and that
seems like a really good deal to me. I was thinking of buying them and
using them as the rears in a HT setup. My RF-7s are just running in
stereo mode right now. I am also thinking about purchasing an RC-64
center speaker to go with these. I have read on these forums that
several people actually prefer the new center AND prefer the older
RF-7s matched together. Since the RF-15s are the same generation as the
RF-7s would these be good to use as rears... and do you all think 300
would be a good price? These speakers are in flawless condition.

Thanks!

Hi Groto.

I think that would be a nice setup. I personally would try to find an RC-7 for considerably cheaper than you can find an RC-64. You probably would have better results given that the tweeters & drivers in your front 3 speakers would match.

Insofar as the RF-15 is concerned, I am a fan of using towers as side surrounds but you may be able to find something like a pair of RF-3's or RF-35's for that price. They are heavier and have larger horns and woofers. I also would consider a pair of those RB-5 bookshelf speakers that some folks seem to have for sale here. In the $500 to $700 range you would have the best options in either the RB-75's or RF-5's for side surrounds, imo.

The bottom line and given that he is a friend--buy him a few beers while you plug in those RF-15's and see what you think. That's my 2 cents.

Thanks for the response. I would try RC-7 but I can't find one anywhere around here... Also, the ones on ebay that are there occasionally are usually banged up. I also want to keep everything in the cherry finish. There are several people on this forum that seem to like the RC-64 with the RF-7s. The stores around where I live only sell the current models now. Ebay is my only other source really and they don't seem to have most the models you requested. They had the RF-35s but they were 600+

I have heard the RF-15s a LOT. It was this friend that actually got me to buy my RF-7s a few months ago. I love the klipsch sound. I just wondered how these would work as rears with the rest of my setup.

Plus they are only 300. They have new ones on ebay for 500.. His aren't quite a year old yet though and he takes such good care of everything. There isn't even one scratch on either speaker. He's just upgrading these and does not have room to use them for the rear.

There is a lot to be said about the convenience factor and your comfort level with the seller. If you like the sound of the RF-15's with your RF-7's--go for it. I don't think it would be a bad decision. Insofar as the other speakers I mentioned--I can see where availability would be an issue but if found would be a better alternative, imho.

I also understand that availability of the RC-7 could be a problem. I have read that people who purchased the RC-64 to use with their RF-7's have had good results. I don't remember seeing RC-7 owners upgrading/changing to the RC-64. If there are some I hope they give you a second opinion so I may reconsider. The RC-7 is an awesome speaker.

Placement issues should be considered when you are torn between the RC-64 and RC-7. The RC-64 is designed to fit on a shelf below a flat screen TV, if the stand is wide enough etc. The RC-7 is taller and was intended to be able to be mounted higher.

IMO, go with the better physical fit for the long term. They are both great speakers to use with RF-7s.

Bill