The million dollar Native 720P Projector question? Suggestions?

StLouisVegan

I am looking for a bright native 720 projector. I found the panasonic PT-AX100U that has 2000 lumens and a high contrast ratio of 6000:1. Does anyone have experience with this projector or can some recommend a good one for me. They will be using it for HDTV and movies mainly. I am setting up a home theater in my parents house to complete the Klipsch experience! Thanks for the suggestions!

Michael

Jeff,

Does this projector preform well with some lights on? Also are you using it mainly for watching movies? Do you know if HD look good on it? Thanks for your help. I am looking at getting this projector at Costco for $1699 with a $400 rebate. Looks like a good deal to me. Any info would be helpful.

Michael

I am looking for a bright native 720 projector. I found the panasonic PT-AX100U that has 2000 lumens and a high contrast ratio of 6000:1. Does anyone have experience with this projector or can some recommend a good one for me. They will be using it for HDTV and movies mainly. I am setting up a home theater in my parents house to complete the Klipsch experience! Thanks for the suggestions!

Michael

I own this projector, love it. I mostly watch Blu-ray and ps3 games on it. Do you have any specific questions?

Jeff,

Does this projector preform well with some lights on? Also are you using it mainly for watching movies? Do you know if HD look good on it? Thanks for your help. I am looking at getting this projector at Costco for $1699 with a $400 rebate. Looks like a good deal to me. Any info would be helpful.

Michael

Here is a screenshot with all the lights in my theater on:

P1010083_web.jpg

Here is the same frame with all the lights off:

P1010084_web.jpg

So with the lights off you certainly see that picture is washed out a bit without the same deep contrast etc but the picture is still totally watchable. The projector setting for these pictures was Cinema 1. That is the out of the box calibrated setting. There are several even brighter settings that you could choose from as well. Would I want to watch a movie with the lights on? No probably not. Could I watch a football game with all the lights on? You bet.

For HD I use both HD Cable and my HD DVD player. Both sources look excellent on this projector. Even though this is a 720p projector I find that I get the best picture with the cable box and HD DVD player set to output 1080i and let the projector scale it to 720p.

Hope this helps you out.

Laters,

Jeff