Newbie ? Can someone compare contrast the new Reference models w/the 99-03 ones?

jw31

As seen in another thread I am on a quest to upgrade to Klipsch reference from my current system, which is nice and a great value when I bought it (Acoustic Research 328PS/318PS and matching center), but was a great STARTER system. I am most familiar with the original reference line because they came out when I bought my system (and were WAY out of my price range), and am looking to score some used but in good shape RF-3's and and RC-3, but am confused how they compare to the current versions in the reference line.

First of all, back in the day there was the RF-3 mains and then later the RF-5 and RF-7's. Now there are the RF-83/63 and the RF-82/62/52, still the RF-5 & RF-7's and I won't even mention the RF-10/15/25s (front speakers NEED to have 8" woofers to be mains IMHO). Personally I like the styling on the older ones better, more classic, less cheesy plastic molding, but are there compelling sonic reasons to go with the newer ones (assuming the older ones were well kept)? And which of the new lines are equivalent to the older ones?

If the current RF-82 appears the most similar to the RF-3's, then what is equivalent to the RF-5's and RF-7's (or are those being redone or still being made, the current website seems to have them stopped in 06). And what is the major difference that separates the RF-3, RF-5 and RF-7 lines?

Sorry for all the questions, and if many have been answered already, if you can show the link I'd greatly appreciate it. For reference I'm running a 5.1 system w/AR 328PS towers in front, AR 318PS towers in rear the AR center (forgot the #) and a Hsu VTF-2 sub, thru a Denon 2800 (with an Infocus SP4805 front projection system and 76" screen). THANKS!

The RF-83 is the replacement for the RF-7. The RF-63 could be argued to

be the same kind of speaker as the RF-5 (same tweeter as its bigger

brother with smaller woofers). The RF-3 would be the same thing as the

RF-82.

The other lines are smaller options which I think were put together to cater to the Magnolia style markets.

The RF-83 has better mids than the RF-7 and is in my opinion overall

better rounded and voiced better. Though I think some prefer the

rougher sound of the RF-7. I wouldn't bother with the RF-63 since it's

not a huge jump to go the rest of the way to the 83. The RF-82 is nice

if you're unable to go all out, though there have been a lot of good

reviews on the forum from the RF-52. The 83 and 63 are using a better

tweeter and the extra woofers are there to help keep up with it. For

this reason, you can expect a little bit more clarity with the 83/63

than you would with the 82/62/52.

If I may comment on the "cheesy" plastic grills...it's actually been a

frustration with the Klipsch engineers that the plastic gets perceived

as being cheap, when in fact the material they're using is acoustically

better than normal wood. Though I agree they could probably have styled

it a bit better...

Ignoring money for a moment, I would definitely choose the newer

Reference over the older stuff. I probably wouldn't be considering

Reference at all though...the new Heritage line sounds much better. You

probably need to hear it for yourself, but I think the new Cornwall 3

blows away the RF-7 and RF-83. Even a normal Cornwall I or Cornwall II

which you can find on the used market sounds better I think. Of course

the downside to Heritage is that they tend to be much larger.

Thanks for the info, that's about what I thought that the "new" Rf-3 is essentially the RF-82. Regarding the plastic quality/cheese factor, its totally the appearance that I think LOOKS cheesy, and also conceptually I prefer wood to plastic when I'm buying $1000/pair speakers! Plastic has no place in a REFERENCE level speaker IMHO. As for ignoring the reference line altogether, I live in an apt, and am married, so there is about a 0% chance of dropping some Cornwalls into my HT, if I want to stay in said apt with said wife (and not in the spare room) [;)]!

How would you compare the RF-3/RF-3 II to the RF-35 to the RF-82? Just wondering, since RF-3's in good shape fetch $3-400/pair, but RF-35's aren't much more (a pair went for $350 on ebay) and are much newer (yet have that plastic molding). Thoughts?

I don't live in a small condo, it's good sized (13-1500 sq ft) and the HT is in the largest room. Still, it's not just the wife that doesn't want the entire room taken up by huge *** speakers when we'd be perfectly satisfied w/the sound produced by the reference line. She let me buy the HT with all the money we got as wedding presents, so I think she vetted ok! [;)]

But anyway, when did this become compare Reference to more expensive lines? I'm asking about the Reference line because that's what I want and can potentially afford (used)...

Congratulations on your marriage, I think people used to chime in that they preferred the 3's over the 35's. Hopefully someone with ears on experience will step up. If you give a budget, you will get all kinds of creative suggestions to ponder. Obviously if you have a chance to listen to the various models it will help you decide. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the reference line.