center speaker sound

mjennings99

I have seperates for Home theater, I have a NAD Surround Preamp T-163 and a Musical Fidelity amp running my mains (RF-3), NAD amp running my center and an Onkyo running my surrounds. I have the mains set at large and the setting on my preamp for the center all the way up but my center is still way behind the mains, what can I do to have them at the same level

You failed to mention what the center channel speaker is? Klipsch, Polk, other, etc.? If it is not as efficient as your RF-3 mains even the 12db compensation will not help. Adjusting the distance while at your seating position will also improve it's performance. You should be using an RC-3 or RC-3II with those RF-3 mains.

Some missing info here. If the amp running your center is less powerful than the one running your mains, that could be 1 source. Another is as mentioned earlier that if you have a less efficient center then it needs more power to reach the same loudness level, and you didn't say what the wattage is for the main and center amps.

Just with the preamp adjustments have you tried bumping DOWN your fronts a few dB in addition to bumping up the center? If you bump the fronts all the way down and the center all the way up I'd say you've got some kind of more serious problem w/your center, center amp or both. Also is the center the same distance from the listener as the fronts and is it configured as such in the preamp? (sorry if that's an ignorant ? but I have a receiver that handles that, not a preamp).

good luck!

Iam sorry my center is a polk audio and the amp driving it is an NAD 100W/channel. I have the amp set up in mono. The Musical Fidelity is 135W/channel running the mains. I am thinking about getting an Adcom 3-channel amp rated at 200W/channel to run the the center and surrounds

So, you're running 35 less watts to a speaker that is WAY less efficient than your mains? I think you answered your own question already, it's just outmatched under those conditions, you either need more power to it or less to your mains...

The 35W per channel difference in amplification will not make an audible difference, having the Polk Audio center that is probably 10db or more less efficient is your problem (not to mention the timbre is not even close).

Get rid of it and replace it with a Klipsch RC-3 or RC-3II and your level matching issue will go away.