Klipsch KA-1000-THX fried...

JPSomner

I have the Klipsch THX Ultra2 7.1 speaker system with the KA-1000-THX amp powering two KW-120-THX subs. Out of the blue its done after working perfectly for a month. System installed professionally. Voltage regulator integrated circuit burned, 2 capacitors exploded (39 and 11), power supply fuse blown. I have heard Klipsch amps are infamous for power supply problems(?). Operating environment temperature was a maximum of 100 degrees and more likely 90 on average. I was told this was most likely a bad power supply. Unfortunately I bought this system new off eBay...dont think Klipsch will be honoring any warranty claim.

Any insight/opinion on this would be greatly appreciated...

Wow, that sucks.

For what it's worth, I can't think of any Klipsch amplifiers that have known power supply

problems. The only possible thing that might be an issue were the old

Promedia 5.1's that got recalled due to a bad OEM (so it wasn't even

something built in house), but none of that was power supply related.

The KA-1000 is one seriously built amplifier. As far as I know, you're

the first to present any problems to the forum.

What was the situation surrounding the failure? Something had to cause the current to flow.

Anyways, I would give Klipsch customer service a call tomorrow:

1-800-KLIPSCH

The guys there are really cool and should get you taken care of as best

as possible. Be sure to tell them about your thread on the forum too

(if they don't chime here in on their own).

I would also try contacting the seller you purchased the unit from to

see if they have any warranty available. Some of the Ebay stores offer

warranties, but the longest I've seen is 30 days from the purchase date.

Sorry to hear the bad news,however Klipsch upscale products do nothave issues you may read about in the cheapo ProMedia low cost speakers. I have five Klipsch powered subs(thre RSW's two RT's) and never had a single isse,the RSW's were purchased several years ago when they came out. I have blasted the hell out of them.

I would call Klipsch,what have you got to lose?

Yeah, this really sucks. My design firm is going to call Klipsch tomorrow for their input and to see what they are willing to do about it. I included the major componentry of my setup in my signature - note the isolation unit and conditioner. The engineer of the design fim that installed my system says it was an internal problem of the Klipsch amp. All else is OK. Still trying to pinpoint exactly what happened because I certainly dont want to put a new amp in a bad setup only to go through this again.

Voltage regulator, capacitors and power supply fuse 86'ed? I don't know why a Klipsch amp would suffer that kind of damage without an external force. Is your power conditioner made by Black Cat or are you the first circuit on your power company's grid?

OR....

Is your design firm looking for any fault except possibly of their own? [*-)]

I see you have a Torus in your setup. I would say it is a problem with the Klipsch amp. None the less the Klipsch sub amp is built fine,could be a very gross and rare defect in the amp,the THX amps have no know issues of this nature.

CAS...Black Cat Audio....yeah that is the name of my future surge suppressor lineup !!!