power management

jdm56

I've just gotten back into separates for the first time in years (with my new 2-channel rig) and I'm wondering about turning the power amp off and on. It generates a lot of heat even when idling so I hate to leave it on all the time. Still, all the heat up / cool down cycles from switching it off and on would probably be hard on it too. To say nothing of the fact the power switch doesn't exactly inspire confidence for long-term reliability. My pre has no switched outlets but it does have a couple of 12V triggers. Is some kind of power center my best option? What kinds are best?? THANKS, Y'ALL!

Try the 12V trigger first. If it doesn't add any noise, that may be all you need. Switching on and off can shorten the amp's life, but leaving it on all the time can, too. Heat is a determinant in the service life of electronics. An added benefit of using high-sensitivity speakers is that the amp uses less power and runs cooler. When I switched to Klipsch speakers, the amp was noticeably cooler to the touch, which should be a good thing. Of course, that wouldn't apply with a Class A amp.

With my system, I turn it on when I first want to listen, and leave it on until bedtime. If on and off once a day is too much, it's not a practical amp.

Yeah, I'm kind of leaning towards the 12 Volt trigger option I guess. I really hadn't planned on the expense of buying some kind of power management device, but I guess I'll have to. I'm about tapped out right now from buying the speakers, amp, pre-amp and CD player!

I agree that one advantage of high sensitivity speakers is that it lets you operate without the need for monster amps. My Mobile Fidelity speakers are definitely not high-sensitivity though, at 84dB with 1W. Plus, they are rated 6 Ohms, so they need plenty of muscle to sound their best. Which is why I bought the Adcom GFA5500. It seemed to be one of the more powerful amps available for the money. But it does make some heat, so I guess I'll have to shop for something than will give me some surge protection plus noise filtering AND power management.