Tapped Horns (new software)

DrWho

There has been some interest in tapped horns as of late and in the process of trying to learn Akabak (a free simulation software) I realized Hornresp has now been updated to model tapped horns (way cool!).

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmcbean/

I found the attached picture online when trying to figure out what the manual was describing and added a few more labels. The description in the manual wasn't making much sense until I saw this picture:

post-10350-13819340039282_thumb.jpg

I've been playing around with a few different drivers and think I might try building a 12 cubic foot horn with the Peavey Lowrider 18". It will be interesting to see how the predictions compare to the real world. The cool thing is I think I might be able to pull off a 3 octave bandwidth with a little DSP (normally the limit is 2 octaves). Attached is the 1W/1M prediction and the driver can handle a full 1600W continuous (yielding a full 135dB if everything remains linear).

post-10350-13819340039648_thumb.jpg

I use the printscreen function of the computer. If you use <ALT>

+ <PRINTSCREEN> it only copies the current window. When you save

in MSPaint the JPG rendering often shifts the colors a bit. If you open

an existing JPG picture and then paste the screen dump the color shifts aren't as dramatic but still there.

Attached is the design criteria. I've never built a bass horn before so I have no clue if I'm breaking rules or unaware of nonlinearities. The small throat and slow area expansion kinda concerns me, but apparently Danley gets away with it in his DTS-20.

post-10350-13819340074548_thumb.jpg