K-33 impedance compensation

For those of you have may have experimented with it, is there 'out there' somewhere a plot of the woofer's response as it approoaches the crossover frequency? I have the Revc and Levc values in order to make an RC filter (if it looks like it might be beneficial), but was curious if there is any data available regarding this.

Thanks,

Erik

I had looked at this issue many years ago for the home made K-Horns.

It looked to me that the input impedance to the woofer was mostly resistive at 400 Hz and even the decade above. Therefore no impedance compensation was needed, in my view. OTOH, it can't hurt and if it is something you worry about, you won't have to worry once the impedance compensator is in place.

I see impedance compensators and their use described in several places. They probably do make crossover design more straightforward if you are using a woofer up to 1000 Hz or more. Of course the Heritage series is not going up that high at all.

This inductance issue may be different with the Corwall or Heresy for lack of horn loading and the extra resistance horn loading adds.

Is this for a horn or direct radiator?

Gil

Gil:

"This inductance issue may be different with the Corwall or Heresy for lack of horn loading and the extra resistance horn loading adds."

This is for the Klipschorn, and the resisistive element of the horn is what I was curious about in terms of the behavior of the driver. I haven't seen a respsonse plot for it, and was wondering if someone may have done any experimenting with it. Speaker systems and networks I was building years ago almost without exception called for some amount of impedance compensation, but those were all cases of dynamic drivers in either sealed or vented enclosures.

I'm not worried about it as such, just very interested in learning what some may have discovered regarding that aspect of Klipschorn design. The values of R and C are not always so critical and I know of many cases where people start with the calculated values based on the DCR and inductance of the voice coil, and then play around with them, fine tuning it by ear.

Given the simplicity of a couple of those older networks, it seems, at least in a historical sense, it was never thought to be an issue worth addressing. On the other hand, nor was much (originally) done, as far as I know, about the suspect notch in the response of the K-55V in the 9kHz region. I know about the remedy for that, but have never had a problem with it -- my K-horns being a pair that uses the K-55V.

Thanks,

Erik