Final HT approach help wanted

ThomasEckhardt

Hi ALL,

In the last six months I was closely watching this forum for all kind of helpful information about the right equipment for my future HT-madness.

Thank you all for it.

All decisions (read buys) made were influenced by internet info sources.

For now, my setup consists of the following:

Sunfire Theater Grand II 2.2

Sunfire Cinema Grand Amp for Speakers

Sunfire Stereo Signature Amp for Subwoofers

Denon DVD 2800 (Finally will be Arcam FMJ27)

Thorens 2000 CD-Player

Nakamichi RX202 for casette (only for car)

Focus Enhancements Quadrupler

Nec 6PG+ CRT-Projector

Schroers Biga 200 Rack

As 2001 begins to fade, so is my budget on HT-stuff. So all necessary purchases will have to wait until next year. :-)

For now i would tend to the following speakers:

Main Klipsch RF-7's

Surround Klipsch RF-5's

Center Klipsch RC-7

Subwoofers Dual SVS CS-Ultra's

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions for Speakers and Woofers, because I am from Austria and haven't had the chance to audition any of those speakers.

As I heard so many different opinions about Klipsch RF-Speakers, I dont know if this is the right choice.

Please help....

After the great Sub shootout i think SVS is the best sub out there.

True?

I had some doubt about the Sunfire Signature because of their 1200 W/Channel/4Ohm.

Could this blow the SVS?

Only chance was to test the original RF-3 (first series), and IMO the bombed the big Snell X towers (6000 US$ here in Austria) out of the water (not at the bass, but everywhere else).

And I have a Promedia speaker set, which rules for the PC.

My HT-Room is about 15' x 14' x 12'.

I think the HT usage will be about 75% rest will be just music.

If you guys could help me, I would order the stuff right away, and be happy ever after. :-)

Thank you all in advance

Thomas

P.S.: Special thanks to theears for giving up his private life and posting so many useful hints.

cwm4.gif

Thomas,

Yes I dont have any private life since I started posting here. cwm27.gif

Congrats on your pre/pro and amp choices.You will both have quality and quantity(more watts then you'll ever need).

And if you get the Sunfire Signature two channel power amp for the SVS Ultras or SS you can be sure this combo will beat any subs under 10 grand!

Remember the Sunfire Signature two channel amp delivers 1200W RMS per channel(both channels driven!)into 4 Ohms full bandwith! This is plenty even for the largest and most power hungry sub ever made.

TheSunfire Signature while a beast for its size,the most powerful sub in its size it cannot match SVS Ultras or SS on deep bass.Even the Velodyne HGS18 cant,even two or three cant!

But the Sunfire Signature has more output for even a large room then most will ever need.I speak from experience since I have four Sunfire(well one Carver)subs and had the SVS Ultras on loan powered by my Carver TFM-75 power amp(1000W RMS full bandwith per channel into 4 Ohms!).

The SVS simply will curl your floor and walls if called to do so!The Sunfire Sig will also shake your room but to a lesser degree.The SVS is good to below 16Hz and the Signature sub to 20Hz.

Your speaker choice is also good,same as my setup. Smile.gif

The RF-7's sure have all the power you may want,sound quite good.When I say quite good means not near as good as my Dynaudio Contour 3.3's.. these are so much more refined on music.

From what I see you have some money to spend on a system,consider the Dynaudio Contour series,these will make circles around even B&W Nautilus series(I compared)!Yes they cost more,but they offer much more fine detail and have an almost total lack of coloration that makes the Klipsch(ANY KLIPSCH)sound colored in comparison.

Remember Klipsch R series are superb for HT and only OK for music(great for heavy metal and other LOUD concerts with impact).

The Dynaudio Contour are great on any material,any.

I dont want to confuse you,the Klipsch are very good speakers the Dynes are a level or two up the ladder.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

Thomas,

Yes I dont have any private life since I started posting here.
cwm27.gif

I thought so... Wink.gif

quote:

Remember the Sunfire Signature two channel amp delivers 1200W RMS per channel(both channels driven!)into 4 Ohms full bandwith! This is plenty even for the largest and most power hungry sub ever made.

TheSunfire Signature while a beast for its size,the most powerful sub in its size it cannot match SVS Ultras or SS on deep bass.Even the Velodyne HGS18 cant,even two or three cant!

I was already so convinced about the SVS, that i purchased the Signature Stereo one month ago.

I just was'nt sure if the Sunfire wont set the CS Ultras on (sun)fire, because these babies are set for 500 Watt.

You know, better HAVE than HAD.

About Dynaudio:

I was thinking a year ago about them. But then I read somewhere, that except the evidence, everything else is sharply overpriced.

So I came back to Klipsch.

After your post I checked my sources (well...) and a HT-set of Contous (3.3, 3.0 and Center) will go for 11.000 US$. Puh.

The complete Klipsch RF-Set comes to 3.000,- US$.

Honest question: Is it worth the difference?

I was also looking at B&W, but then I figured out, that except the N-801 and N-802, none of those speakers will get me a real HT reference level.

Again, what I want to audition (from B&W) is the CM and the 600/3 series.

Then I will know the difference to Klipsch, I think.

Do you really think, that the RF-7 is coloring?

I didn't expect that.

So thanks again for your reply.

Best regards to Montreal.

Thomas

P.S.: Sometime I wonder how your house looks like...

PP.S.: So next months Tom will have to ship the first CS Ultras to Austria. YESSS!

This message has been edited by ThomasEckhardt on 12-27-2001 at 03:03 PM

My house looks like a total mess,I am reconfiguring my systems...yet again.Moving subs and amps.Heavy $hit these amps and subs.My back tells me too heavy.

The Aerial almost broke my back,and the ATI amps are no lightweighs.

Well about the RF-7 coloration,they are not really colored,its just the Contour is so free from any colorations most other speakers are colored in comparison.

Those who say Dynaudio Audience and Contour series are overpriced are clowns.To me the Dynes are worth the extra paid,on music only.

Dynaudio speakers are neutral,detailed and are built like very few.And what about the drivers,the best made(next to Focal,Eton and ScanSpeak).Overpriced...not when you consider the performance and quality of the product.

Yes Klipsch is a better value,when prices are compared Klipsch takes the win.

And great choice of sub,the SVS Ultras will bring power and quality at a very afordable price.Get at least two. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

hello all, well instead of the dynaudio speakers i would recommend the Genesis model 1.1 , 3 way dipolar/

powered subwoofer, with these speakers you wont need the SVS subs i'm pretty sure these speakers will blow

away any other's that you have looked at just my 2 cents mark

This message has been edited by h2xmark on 12-27-2001 at 07:25 PM

Genesis model 1.1 huh,well at this price you have to compete against the Dynaudio Confidence 5.I'll take the Confidence 5 any day against the Genesis.Better upper detail and a midrange as pure as electrostatics.

Egglestonworks Andra takes the Genesis to the cleaners.

And if more money can be spend bring any Genesis on,Dynaudio Evidence Temptation and Master can take care of any four set super duper speakers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ok ok you win,but i bet those 12 12"servo drivers powered by the built in 4200 watt amp on the genesis 1.1 with powered sub win in the bass dept. but the mids and highs are not as crisp as theEgglestonworks or the temptation 3way's by dynaudio, hey Ear what do you think about Legacy audio,a friend of mine really talks a lot about the Focus 5 way speaker, what is you thought's on these? thanks mark

Legacy makes great speakers,I did not hear many(Whisper and Focus only)but what I hear was very high class.They belive in very efficient speakers,very low distortion.Quite detailes and uses if I am not mistaken Eton mid-bass drivers.

Good speakers,make that great.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replys.

OK, so two SVS Ultras will be ordered next month.

Bingo.

For the speakers:

Again, IMO for a 75% (at least) HT usage, I think Klipsch are the best value.

Still.

The Legacy's are for sure fine speakers, but you cant hear those in Austria. Thats for sure.

And Genesis are IMO really overpriced.

Man, have you seen the prices for the better models lately?

I didn't expect to spend 100.000,- US$ in the speakers alone.

I will give the Contours a try.

But for now, I even like the little brightness of the RF-Series. cwm11.gif

And as I was watching "Lord of the Rings" yesterday, I can understand theears hunt for reference (bass)levels, really ...

theears:

So you got the infamous ATI amp.

How is it?

I didn't go for it, because I had bad experiences with the ATI PC products (buggy, incompatible, bad support).

See you soon,

best regards

Thomas

P.S.: theears, how 'bout the SAF (spouse acceptance factor) of your equipment?

Thomas,

"theears:

So you got the infamous ATI amp.

How is it?

I didn't go for it, because I had bad experiences with the ATI PC products (buggy, incompatible, bad support)."

LOL

ATI the Canadian videocard maker is not ATI the americam Amplifier Technologies Inc.. LOL

ATI makes great inexpesive amps(I have the 2505 and 1505).Well built,great sound and can drive any speaker with ease.

Now about the SAF,TheEAR is single,not married yet.SO its not a factor.In the future it will be a factor.Not now. I can have all the subs I want.One day I will only have to keep only one.Aerial or SVS SS probably.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hi,

Hmmm, seems my work is making me too sensitive.

I cant even buy me an amp without thinking about computer hardware.

LOL!!!

Thanks for the information.

Bye

Tom

P.S.: I thought that only guys without SAF-sensitivity can build such a home as theears... cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by ThomasEckhardt on 12-30-2001 at 08:42 AM