Corner bass absorbers

damonrpayne

Yeah that's about what mine look like. I am hoping when I cover it with cloth that my uneven cuts on the front are mostly hidden.

Is it more important to have it behind the speakers, or in the ceiling corners, do you think? I had been planning on putting mine in the ceiling corners and making it about 4' total.

My inclination would be to start in the rear vertical corners of the room and the ceiling corners in the front of the room. Even better would be to walk around the room and listen for the hotspots and put the treatment there.

The only concern with the front corners is that the speakers are tucked into the corners and the corner is redirecting bass energy forward - soaking it up is going to reduce the effect of corner loading.

Just a couple of comments...

Corner traps are not a panacea. They simply offer the largest ROI for mode treatment.

They do not remove all of the bass energy from the room!

But I sense an fascinating trend.

First, we are not using tuned traps. So already we have a compromise.

The optimal use of this style of trap is to place them in the four corners and also along the horizontal ceiling/wall intersections. I would recommend this. I would use the solid wedges in the vertical corners, simply because you 'catch' all 3 modes. The horizontal traps can be tubes made of either (preferably) 3 panels (minimum 2", optimally 4 " thick each) in a triangular configuration, or (still less effective) using several layers (at least 4 inches and better 8 inches) as the hypotenuese straddling the horizontal corners.

Simply placing the wedges in cormers is a compromise.

But then many seem to want to limit them to half corners, or only to certain corners.

I guess you can do this, but you dramatically reduce what is already a compromise solution.

So why not just go one step further and not use them at all?

See the problem???

The less you do, the less the results. And the effective results decline exponentially.

And you are mitigating bass resonance, NOT appreciably decreasing the apparent bass energy in the room.

You are dealing with a LF pressure wave. Please resist the tendency to imagine LF sound waves like a linear traveling wave seen on an oscilloscope.