Corner bass absorbers

damonrpayne

Not too much.

To be effective you are going to have to look at the MegaLENRD corner foam trap that is sufficient to actually be effective at low frequencies, and that is essentially the same product only with 24 inch wall faces. Then marvel at the price.

I would use OC705 (not 703) or Roxul Rockboard60 (for a fraction of the price of the OC albeit with a little less rigidity and slice the 2x4' sheets in half into 2x2'blocks and then slice the 2x2' blocks diagonally into triangles. Thus each 2x4 '; panel supplies 4 pieces. The number of sheets required depends obviously on the height /length of the corner and the thickness of material used. 4" thick is highly recommended if you can source it.

These can be stacked (with 3M spray adhesive LIGHTLY applied to aid cohesion if desired). Attachment to the wall can be done in a variety of ways, the easiest being to use quarter round molding with an open weave fabric facing stretched across. Muslin or burlap can be used, or Guilford of Maine FR701 (and marvel at the material and its cost).

Yeah, I know some here don't think much of him but that's Ethan Winer's stuff. The last time I looked at the page my first thought was "RealTraps vs. Foam: 6x the performance at only 15x the cost!"

In all seriousness though, I'm not sure I can fanangle a way to mount a 2' wide mini trap in my front corners, it would for sure have to be at an angle and behind some curtains. If it needs to be that wide, I might as well bulid another 2' wide OC 703 panel, or cut one in half for a 1' wide homade solution that will be far far cheaper than either foam or Winer's stuff.

Not too much.

To be effective you are going to have to look at the MegaLENRD corner foam trap that is sufficient to actually be effective at low frequencies, and that is essentially the same product only with 24 inch wall faces. Then marvel at the price.

I would use OC705 (not 703) or Roxul Rockboard60 (for a fraction of the price of the OC albeit with a little less rigidity and slice the 2x4' sheets in half into 2x2'blocks and then slice the 2x2' blocks diagonally into triangles. Thus each 2x4 '; panel supplies 4 pieces. The number of sheets required depends obviously on the height /length of the corner and the thickness of material used. 4" thick is highly recommended if you can source it.

These can be stacked (with 3M spray adhesive LIGHTLY applied to aid cohesion if desired). Attachment to the wall can be done in a variety of ways, the easiest being to use quarter round molding with an open weave fabric facing stretched across. Muslin or burlap can be used, or Guilford of Maine FR701 (and marvel at the material and its cost).

Got links or plans for any of this? The main problem with 705 I've found is that in calling around to building supply stores no one sells it except by the carton. What is an "open weave fabric" ?

MAS:

The footer was poured, the bricks are being laid, couple sheets of the Roxul Rockboard 60 will be ordered. Been fooling around with 2' thick styro with scrap cloth covering them held by the bungees in the wall of voodoo. Veryyyyy interesting....... I'll bet that rockboard will be sweet in this room when the contractors get finished!!! Changed design to be tile floor, seing as how that WAF got involved after you left.....[:-*]

If you can gently curve the curtain rods with a pipe bender (without excessively crimping the track) or add a curved extension you can get curtains to curve around in fron tof the corner traps and they disappear to the eye. It may sound funny, but your eye and habit'knows' how a corner works and they will simply 'miss' the fact that the curtain curves unless it is specifically focused upon.

If you can gently curve the curtain rods with a pipe bender (without excessively crimping the track) or add a curved extension you can get curtains to curve around in fron tof the corner traps and they disappear to the eye. It may sound funny, but your eye and habit'knows' how a corner works and they will simply 'miss' the fact that the curtain curves unless it is specifically focused upon.

So, to be specific, it is important that the wedge goes all the way to the ceiling, and it's important enough to wreck my curtain rods? If this is the case then what I will likely do is move the curtain rods in a bit, a little less than 2', by unscrewing from the wall and re-attaching the outermost bracket holding the rod in place. I'm sure I currently have the outermost brackets far closer to the wall than 2 feet.

Is 4 feet down from the ceiling enough length for the wedge? That is the length the Rock 60 stuff comes in. I have the standard 3M adhesive spray, if all of what I have just said is accurate, this will be my next project. I just want to be specific before I go hacking up my room [:)]

These are what I have. http://www.gikacoustics.com/absorption_products.html They have a large assortment of colors and will do custom lengths. They are MUCH more reasonably priced than Realtraps. For $15.00 they'll send you a swatch packet with material samples. If you're really interested, PM me and I'll send you my sample packet for free.

• 3 weeks later...