S-1 surrounds (50W) and C-2 center (100W) a good match? (receiver is 80W center and 20W surround)

BP_redbear

I am considering a purchase of one set of Klpisch S-1 surround speakers and one C-2 center channel speaker. My receiver is rated at 80W mains and 80W center with 20W surround x2 (in Surround Mode). I realize that the S-1 set is rated at 50W each, and the C-2 is rated at 100W.

Would it be better to purchase the C-1 center (50W) to match the S-1 (50W) surrounds?

I would be concerned with the 80W-center-channel rating of my receiver when using a 50W rated speaker (C-1).

Or, would it be better to purchase a set of S-2 surrounds to go with a C-2 center? My concern there is that my 20W-rated-surround-channel receiver would be way-underdriving the 100W-rated S-2 surrounds. I am confused by what I have read concerning underdriving and 'clipping', which causes distortion (?) and/or potential speaker damage, unless the speakers are high-efficiency models.

By the way, my mains (front L & R) speakers are Sound Dynamics 500 Concert Monitor speakers (unsure of the rating), which have 10 in. woofer each and possibly a one-inch (?) dome tweeter.

I am not ready to fund a purchase of a set of Klipsch front speakers, at this time, however would appreciate suggestions.

"I am confused by what I have read concerning underdriving and 'clipping', which causes distortion (?) and/or potential speaker damage, unless the speakers are high-efficiency models"

High efficiency they are. Might want to hold off on the purchase until you can afford the mains though, or just buy mains, and build around those. Generally lose less money on the upgrade path that way.

A quick easy answer to your question would be that I wouldn't worry to much about it either way if one works out for your wallet significantly better. But there are few things to consider...

Something important to take note of is that the S-2 surrounds are actually a more sensitive speaker and are thus going to be easier to drive at louder volumes with less watts.

S-1 sensitivity = 88.5dB
S-2 Sensntivity = 91dB

Case in point is that because of the large sensitivity difference, you should probably stick with the Synergy 2 line from this point forward so that you can easily maintain a similar volume level and sound from all your speakers. Not to mention that the Synergy 2's are going to be easier to drive with so little power. It seems odd but true (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).