HT Setup

mdbrien

Hi,

I'm new to HT so please be gentle! I have a pair of Klipschorns, a pair of La Scalas, and a pair of Heresy's. The speakers are in different rooms of my home that I only listen to in two channel. All speakers are powered by <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Aragon 8008BB amps. I use a Juciy Music Peach with the Khorns and an Aragon Aurum with the La Scalas. The Heresy's also use an Aurum preamp. My question is, if I used the Khorns for fronts, the La Scalas for rears and a Heresy for a center, do you think a Sub will be necessary? I would use the Aragon amps to power the Khorns and La Scalas through the bypass switch on the Peach. Can anyone make any suggestions (under $750) on an A/V receiver? Also can anyone comment on what they think this setup would sound like?

Thanks,

My question is, if I used the Khorns for fronts, the La Scalas for rears and a Heresy for a center, do you think a Sub will be necessary?

For movie purposes.......that's an absolute yes!

You most certainly do need a subwoofer because in many newer movies, a vast quantity of effects/sounds far below 30hz is becoming the norm, and without a sub, you'll be completely missing a significant portion of the movie soundtrack.

I would use the Aragon amps to power the Khorns and La Scalas through the bypass switch on the Peach. Also can anyone comment on what they think this setup would sound like?

My 2 cents..... pretty darn incredible!!

Well.... If you're just using the AV receiver for it's 5.1 processing/decoding abilities, there are many adequate choices well below your $750 budget. I hate to admit it, but just about any receiver with the TXH stamp of approval will most likely be more than adequate for those processing needs.

As for a subwoofer for movies?? It really depends on how much you can budget. My suggestion is that you should buy the most capable subwoofer possible within your budget because a better/more capable subwoofer will outperform a lesser subwoofer at any volume, and in any room size. The only reason I say that is because all too often I see the advice: "If your room is only X big, you only need X amount of subwoofer.", and I think that is bad advice.

In the <$2,000 subwoofer market, SVS is my choice. The PB12 Plus/2 & Ultra13 come immediately to mind, but the best choice really depends on what you're willing to budget. You'll be hard pressed to find another sub at a given price range that can go equally as deep, or do it in such a clean & effortless manner. If you need something smaller & lighter, HSU also makes excellent quality built subwoofers, but their smaller size also limits their capability.

If money is less of an object........ I'd want a JL Audio Gotham!! However, a Gotham isn't just for anybody due to their $11,000 price tag and their large large 360lb enclosure[H] At it relates to subwoofers, Bigger & heavier, often truly does equate to better.