Turntable Guidance Needed

youngjj

From reading other posts, I know this opens a big can of worms. I have a Dual 506 from around 1980. I have not used it for several years. It works fine, but needs a new cartridge and stylus. I am not confident about replacing those myself. Getting a Music Hall MMF-2.1 would be great, but I just can't swing a new one right now, or maybe even a used one. On eBay, I have looked at a Dual 1218 refurbished by "Bohhey" and an inexpensive Sony PSLX250H as well as a basic Denon DP-29F. I am at the beginning stages of getting a vintage system together. Through the forum, I think I have found a pair of Chorus I's as the foundation. I would appreciate guidance on other's experience in getting back into vintage and vinyl without breaking the bank.

If i were you, for now why not just stick with the Dual, for sure it's not a great T/T but it sure aint a bad one either. You can pick up an Ortofon stylus and cartridge designed for the ULM arm (ultra low mass) for very reasonable prices, the replacement process is pretty straight forward and is usually well described in the paper-work that comes with it. $30-$40 should get you on the way, and i believe all of the OM series of cartridge can be upgraded with better stylus should you feel the need. I'm sure more good advice will be forthcoming. Good luck with your quest, it's worth the effort....John

Budd of mine who sold audio gear used to say that a turntable sounds
95% like its needle. I bought a cheap(er) turntable and spent
more on the needle. I think the advice of sticking with this
turntable for now and getting a new needle is sound. Might want
to spend a bit more on it though. And if he can find a local
dealer who sells needles they should have no problem with him bringing
his turntable in and putting it on for him. Next step is the
vacuum record cleaner! That will make a huge difference.