6 ohm vs. 8 ohm.

anarchist

Hi guys,

I am not an ohm, watt, or voltage guy so hopefully someone here can help me out. My amp is set to 8 ohms. My center and surrounds are 8 ohms but the KG4's are 6 ohms. What does this really mean?

Here is what experimentation has shown me. Listening to music on standard Dolby - sound going to mains and surrounds, I can't hear the surrounds all that much - even with them turned up 10db. However, if I cut the sound to the KG4's by 10db, you are immersed in the sound - basically a quadrophonic type deal.

Since the speakers are all rated at an efficiency of 94db, would the difference be because the KG4's are 6 ohms and driven at 8 ohms?

What is the problem with driving the 6 ohm speakers at 8 ohms or, on the other hand, if I set the amp to drive the speakers the 8 ohm speakers at 6 ohms? Impact on sound? Damage?

Thanks.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

Well that probably depends on your amp. since you are lowering the resistance at the speaker you are raising the current. More current to the speaker means more volume. But more current also means your amp is working harder. I don't know much about your amp but I don't really think this would be a problem until you get close to clipping.

Very simply put, all things being equal, the amp will deliver more power (watts) to the 6 ohm speakers than the 8 ohm speakers. Since the efficiency of your 6 ohm speakers is the same as your 8 ohm speakers, they will be louder.

The purpose of the load selector switch is essentially to allow the unit to safely provide maximum power into different types of loads. Switch position should not affect the sound as long as the amp is operating within its limits. Wrong switch setting could increase the chance of exceeding power transistor limits when playing at high power levels. But my guess is that you will not have a problem.