Infrared Sensor on rear of subwoofer

LiveFreeAndRoam

Hi,

Can someone describe the practicalities of the infrared sensor on the rear of my subwoofer? I have an RW-10d, though I believe the sensor exists on other subs also.

The user manual states: "The IR codes for this subwoofer can be obtained by visiting www.klipsch.com."

I have searched the site and forums, but cannot find any IR codes. I need these if I'm to have a chance of trying it out. I presume I will be able to enter the code into my Onkyo learning remote. It seems a little unbelievable that Onkyo have dedicated a code to Klipsch subs, but I'm willing to go with it for now.

Of course, having an IR sensor on the rear of the subwoofer seems less than practical. Is it expecting to receive the signal by reflecting it from the wall? Does this really work? I'm left thinking that since we are paying for the IR Sensor, it would be nice to try it out.

Is anyone using this sensor?

Cheers,
LFaR.

The support team replied to me (see below). Basically, there is no support for the IR Sensor. Still, they sent me what they do have - a sign of good support! These control codes are in a binary format. Presumably, if you have a programmable remote, then you would upload these codes to that remote. I don't have any of them, so it's not useful for me.

The Klipsch Subwoofer codes they sent me (and do not support) are for:

Universal Remote

Philips Pronto

RTI

UEI and Harmony remotes (see attachment below)

If you have one of the above mentioned remotes, then you might have some success. I'm still doubting that it will be very practical, given the sensor is on the rear of the subwoofer. Naturally, contact Klipsch support if you want the codes (i.e. not me [H] )

LFaR.

--- email response from the Klipsch Support Team ---

from

smlnopresence.gif

support <support@klipsch.com>

hide details

1:43 am (5 hours ago) paperclip.gif

to

available_white1.gif

LFaR

date

Sep 25, 2007 1:43 AM

subject

RE: IR Sensor Codes for RW-10d

This is all of the codes we have.

The documentation was printed before the product was finalized. These codes are not supposed to be supported, and there arent very many of them Also, just so you know, Harmony has codes of their own on their website.

Even though we technically are not supporting the infra-red features of the subs, well try and help you out as much as we have the ability to, so call us if you need to.

When replying, please include all the text in this email.

Klipsch - Technical Support

Klipsch Audio Technologies

1-800-554-7724

----- attachement -----

UEI and Harmony remotes<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

UEI manufactures remotes http://www.uei.com

Under products you should notice One-For-All, Kameleon and Nevo.

The code that should work for these is 1991 for the IR Reference subs

Please note, this should be for all UEI remotes, but not sure when our codes will be incorporated across the board.

The Logitech Harmony remotes now have the codes on their web site, www.logitech.com,

For use with the Harmony remotes

I have a RW12d with an IR sensor on the back just like yours. I have a harmony remote so the codes weren't an issue. Having an the sensor on the back is kind of a pain. I'd like to be able to walk around the room and adjust it but find I can't. If I get the angle right I can sometimes bounce it off the wall but it's hit and miss. The illuminated front panel doesn't come on when the remote is used so it's hard to tell if the sub actually got the signal. Klipsch should probably rethink the design and either put the IR sensor on the top control panel, or remove it all together (save $2 in production).

I suppose an way to make it work would be to put a mirror behind the sub or paint the wall white. When I move my gear into the basement and the front wall is black I can pretty much right off the remote IR function of the sub.

I believe they intend for you to use an IR repeater/extender system (such as Xantech, Niles, etc.). This feature was primarily targeted to custom installers so they could set up macros for "TV", "Movie", "Music" and set the sub differently for the different modes.

Trooper is correct. Our logic, however foggy, goes like this: In focus groups, we learned that most people did not find enough value in a remote for the sub to include it in the box and in the price. Having no remote capability was ruled out in our higher subs where they might be used in pretty sophisticated custom installs and behind cabinets or otherwise concealed. We therefore put in a remote sensor connection so a cheap flasher could be used by those with such systems.

Sometimes there is no perfect solution.